God damn you 2020

I have posted elsewhere on this bbs about private equity taking over hospitals and hobbling or gutting any hospital’s real mission in favor of “creating shareholder value” and turning that hospital’s mission into Profit First. This is another version of that, and strikes me as bitter warning: do not get old in America.

13 Likes

Divide et impera…

6 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes

Well thank goodness for small favors.
Thanks for posting this.

Just got home, read it here too:

15 Likes

Back to bad news:

7 Likes
11 Likes

and now for something completely different…

edit: sucks that the pear tree was felled for a frikkin road

10 Likes

Yes
and [from same thread]

https://twitter.com/jms5708/status/1370465754559225861

… so that means two fairly old trees were cut down because… mass transit somehow etc. etc.

Ugh.

I have only been to England (not the UK, just England) twice and none of how England is being run is anything I recognize from my time spent there. Mystifying. I mean… take this piece of insanity:

whywhywhywouldanyonethinkthisisagoodidea

… is there simply no way at all to reroute the proposed tunnel? must they really and truly burrow right below Stonehenge? do they have a backup copy of Stonehenge they are keeping in case Something Goes All Pear-Shaped and they ruin this U.N. World Heritage Site? how can this be happening? or even being considered seriously?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

sigh

13 Likes

Need you ask?

8 Likes

“What do you mean, why’s it got to be built?” he said. “It’s a bypass. You’ve got to build bypasses.”
Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often to wonder what’s so great about point A that so many people from point B are so keen to get there, and what’s so great about point B that so many people from point A are so keen to get there. They often wish that people would just once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be.

21 Likes

Every time I look at this I feel just a smidge better:

5 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes

All of the excitement is about how getting the cold can protect you from covid-19, but if you dig all the way down, the point is that colds can shape the pandemic by protecting someone from one exposure, but you will eventually get it once the cold goes away and you are re-exposed. But expect to see this touted by Fox News and anti-maskers as evidence that we should have all been congregating and giving each other colds instead of masking and staying home. Although on its face it just looks like standard bad science writing to try and wring maximum drama from the story, I think it is under the circumstances deeply irresponsible.

7 Likes
8 Likes
18 Likes

I manage offices. I have 25+ years experience with HP products and avoid HP at all costs.

2020:

[paywalled]

2010:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2010/11/hp-inkjet-printer-lawsuit-reaches-5-million-settlement/index.htm

no date:

not related to printers or inks

but

HP wtf again:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/01/hp-to-pay-425-000-for-not-immediately-reporting-overheating-battery-packs/index.htm

(I could go on all day; the rest is left as an exercise for the curious reader)

19 Likes
14 Likes