Another week, another warning from NASA about an asteroid headed our way March 3, 2020

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/03/another-week-another-warning.html

3 Likes

According to CNEOS, 2020 DA4 will intersect Earth’s orbit on March 3 at 9:06 a.m. EST.

Mark Frauenfelder at 9:07 am [PST]

I think we can call it at this point.

Alt-title: This post would have had more impact a few hours ago.

19 Likes

Jeez Frauenfelder, I’m gonna need a couple more hours of warning so I can abscond to whatever side of the planet is opposite these near misses.

7 Likes

I’m just going to duck under the water in my bathtub as it passes.

6 Likes

23 Likes

Another warning another disappointment.

15 Likes

The week is really shaping up to be a good one.

7 Likes

I see I’m not the only one starting to warm to the idea.

7 Likes

What’s cool is we’re spotting these big arse rocks sooner and more often than we ever could before; not that we can do anything about it except whoop and holler like Slim Pickens on an ICBM. What’s also cool is our solar system’s path is once again taking us into the thick of the galaxy’s spiral arm we’ve all been riding along with; this increases the odds that we’re gonna encounter and get smacked around by even bigger big arse rocks. Wheeeee!

8 Likes

I have started telling Google news to block sites like mail.co.uk because of all of the asteroid paranoia click bait. Use the near earth asteroid table on spaceweather.com as it is a lot less doomsdayish and “OMG!!!11 We are all gonna die!1!!!”

6 Likes

Yeah but if it takes out Boris and Donny along with me I am okay with that.

7 Likes

Baby being thrown out with the bathwater scenario.
Maybe a couple of smallish ones on the order of a metre or two directed at certain locations in the UK and US would be more in order.

Wesley! Where did you put your science project?

1 Like

Where’s Klaatu when we need him?

4 Likes

10 Likes

Hoping for a Giant Meteor is making the same mistake as Thanos. Humans, well, some humans, are the problem, but your solution will wipe out all life.

1 Like

wow. another close shave for mother earth

1 Like

Missed! By that much chief!

5 Likes

God does not play dice with the universe, but sure does enjoy a round of billiards now and then!

4 Likes

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun asteroid…

is a good guy with a gun asteroid.

2 Likes

I think that the point is moot; as people have long shown themselves willing to vote for their own extinction.

2 Likes