Something new to worry about in California: Black Death Squirrels

[Permalink]

As Landa said in Inglourious Basterds “I propose to you, any disease a rat could spread, a squirrel could equally carry. Would you agree?”

1 Like

This happens every year and nobody ever contracts the disease from them. Far more people die of Hantavirous contracted from mice, which you can get by inhaling the dust from sweeping out your summer cabin.

1 Like

This isn’t really news. Plague is found in rodents in the western US and has been for decades. Chipmunks, squirrels, and rats. A 7 year old survived catching it in Colorado last year.

2 Likes

Plague is nasty. A guy in Oregon contracted it while trying to pull a dead mouse from the throat of an infected cat:

Warning: Photo of rotting fingers.

Yup, this happened in Denver around the time I moved here, maybe 2007ish? It did some nasty things to the squirrel population. Now Denver metro is heavily populated by adorable wild bunnies.

I didn’t hear about anything bad happening to the human population.

1 Like

DON’T BELIEVE THEM WE’RE DYING OUT HERE IT’S COMING FOR YOU

wait what body is invalid?

Yeah, all right.

1 Like

Black Death Squirrels, now there’s a band name.

4 Likes

Not to be confused with these guys:

8 Likes

I thought it was the fleas you had to worry about, or am I confusing my plagues?

this happened in Denver

I was thinking about the same thing. We have a squirrel family we feed right in front of our place in Capitol Hill. My GF thinks they are our pets, but I secretly think of them as our own black death squirrel patrol that guards our home from intruders. Time will tell how well that pans out.

Warning: Photo of rotting fingers.

Better warning: Never try to pull a dead mouse from the throat of an infected cat.

3 Likes

This isn’t really news. Plague is found in rodents in the western US and has been for decades. Chipmunks, squirrels, and rats. A 7 year old survived catching it in Colorado last year.

That isn’t really news, either. In 1347 Europe caught it and it killed a third of the human population.

3 Likes

Far more people die of Hantavirous contracted from mice, which you can get by inhaling the dust from sweeping out your summer cabin.

Yes, but Black Death Squirrels sounds a lot better than Cabin Dust Mice Monsters.

2 Likes

You mean Death Squirrels (colored black)?

I’ve been trying to figure out why this is suddenly news. This occurs every year throughout the west with Prairie Dogs.

1 Like

I see a Death Squirrel and I want it painted black…

5 Likes

I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black

2 Likes

Yeah … ummm … are you wealthy? Nice art collection?

What’s your address?

Just askin’

This really needs a mash-up between marching Death Squirrels (Black Squad) led by Death Squirrel (Commander, Black Squad), Holst’s Mars, the Bringer of War, Chopin’s Piano Sonata no 2, and of course, Keef, Mick, Ronnie and Charlie.

1 Like