California reports first bubonic plague case in 5 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/18/california-reports-first-bubon.html

3 Likes

I have one word for you, Permethrin!

5 Likes

I’ll just re-purpose this comment from an earlier topic:

14 Likes

Fortunately, while a novelty and decent headline grabber, bubonic plauge is pretty readily treatable with modern antibiotics. This is the least thing I’m worried about this year.

9 Likes

It’s actually common in the southwest. It’s one of the many reasons you should avoid prairie dogs in Arizona.

7 Likes

Plague has been endemic here, since basically forever. There are isolated cases in the Southwest almost every year. We mostly have good enough sanitation to keep it from spreading. I dread the day when it breaks out in some place like an ICE detention camp. I’m sure there’s a certain political faction in the USA that salivates at the idea, though.

Uhm, it’s not at the head of my list of worries, either, but multidrug-resistant Yersinia pestis is a thing.

9 Likes

Sitting here, waiting for the frogs to rain from the sky.

4 Likes

“This is what happens when you f*ck a prairie dog in Arizona!”

5 Likes

Fuck it, let’s go all in on this thing. Fire spitting frogs, huge ones, which leave behind vapor clouds of acidic / poisonous gas. I’d settle for some nice, normal zombies, myself. I’ve been running with the “Zombies! Run” app long enough that it would seem downright normal.

4 Likes

What!?! I’ve already booked the flight!

1 Like

Because 2020.

Don’t forget the Hantavirus!

We’ve got that too!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.