Cute squirrel with big ears swaps things it finds for nuts

Originally published at: Cute squirrel with big ears swaps things it finds for nuts | Boing Boing

12 Likes

I didn’t know plush toys could do this!

6 Likes

And so began the Squirrel Trade Empire…

15 Likes

Squirrel skips hazelnuts, too! $5 says he totally goes p-tooey at Brazil nuts.

9 Likes

I’d be much more satisfied if big-ears could follow up with some sweeping or vacuuming.

4 Likes

I was all prepared to jump on that “almost never” carries rabies warning, but it’s cute and has a discerning palate? Dammit! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Squirrels happen to be THE easiest wild animal to tame. Basically, if a squirrel decides a) you won’t eat it, and b) food happens around you, you’re friends for life.

5 Likes

It went out for an espresso afterwards.

4 Likes

From the Mayo Clinic:

The organism that causes [Bubonic Plague], Yersinia pestis, lives in small rodents found most commonly in rural and semirural areas of Africa, Asia and the United States. The organism is transmitted to humans who are bitten by fleas that have fed on infected rodents or by humans handling infected animals

6 Likes

Just sayin’. . . .

8 Likes

Yeah I mean that’s kind of like saying it’s OK to make friends with the local lions because there haven’t been any documented cases of people getting Covid-19 that way.

8 Likes

There are some exceptions, but for the most part we should just let wild animals be.

4 Likes

And a beer…

6 Likes

They should name the squirrel Quark.

1 Like

You pay almonds, you get squirrels.

2 Likes

If only humans could get the habit of returning and empty every time they get a full one.

1 Like

ppppffft… neighbors used to feed the squirrels here cookies and doughnuts… They were so fat (how fat were they?!) they would fall out of the trees. Fortunately they were chubby and bounced nicely on the ground, no harm to them… as least from the impact…

2 Likes

And here I was thinking I was fortunate that a few of the squirrels on my local walking trail would take a peanut from my hand… Then again, I don’t think that the local large grey squirrels are the ones I’d invite into the house – I’ve watched them fighting for territorial rights on my rear deck and they can be downright nasty to each other (not to mention how they treat the chipmunks).

Looks like the husk previously contained seeds the squirrel already ate. It’s showing up with its “empties.”

1 Like

Cute
Herbivores
Outgoing
And
Motivated

4 Likes