Ferocious squirrel attacks man in his garage

Originally published at: Ferocious squirrel attacks man in his garage | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Well, it’s a homophobic slur, so I don’t think it’s especially suited to any circumstance.

Back on topic, I hope he somehow secured that creature to find out if it’s rabid. From what I’ve heard, he’s going to need rabies shots for sure otherwise (instead of just maybe).

27 Likes

That squirrel has a mean streak a mile wide!

[where’s the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch when you need it?]

29 Likes

dogs-bark

26 Likes

was he wearing his peanut-butter-scented aftershave?

19 Likes

Wow. It appeared to be deliberately sneaking up on him.

14 Likes

Yeah, that dude almost certainly has rabies now

6 Likes

So now we need the flashback back-story and why this squirrel is seeking revenge (insert endless squirrel catapult bungee-trap device videos)

20 Likes

While certainly not a iron-clad guarantee, rodents very very rarely carry rabies. Hence the med school mnemonic “rodents rarely rabid.”

21 Likes

What the hell?

Do squirrel get rabies? Or just pissy?

Small rodents (like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs (including rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

Well, that’s good.

10 Likes

You are correct, and the copy has been changed to acknowledge this. Thank you.

19 Likes

Yep. And thank you!

10 Likes

The “almost” means he still has to get rabies shots.

I got rabies shots this summer. A bat flew into my face as I was running at dusk. The state infectious disease and animal control offices both suggested “better safe than sorry.” There’s no cure for rabies.

15 Likes

What does that entail now? When I was a kid I was told 20 shots in the stomach was the cure, and used as a warning not to go near strange dogs. I assume part of that was just to scare me.

6 Likes

Heh. Perhaps. I always heard 12 shots in the stomach with a lonnnnng needle.

It’s actually seven shots. Three of immune globulin (dosage based on body weight, administered immediately, into whatever is the meatiest part of the body-- in my case the buttocks), and then 4 shots of the vaccine spread out over several days ( there is a strict schedule, roughly every 3-5 days,.)

9 Likes

The off-screen f-bomb is the chef’s kiss on this doofus’ encounter.

I can’t imagine what would make a squirrel act like that besides rabies.

7 Likes

I got 2 shots in the butt for something - and I don’t know what - when I was little and they fucking hurt. It was over a 2 week period or so. But those don’t sound too bad compared to death.

1 Like

I actually had to go through that when I was four. The doctors in the hospital were NOT happy about it, and knew when I was coming in (the anticipatory screaming fits and grabbing anything/everything I could reach on the way past to try and stop it didn’t help) and would argue about who was stuck with the job. And yes, it was a fuck-huge needle through the stomach and into the spine. Literally the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced, and I’ve passed kidney stones, and had dental implant surgery without the benefit of anaesthetic. (yay for rare immunities discovered at the worst possible time…)

It has kind of skewed my perception of “does this hurt” when the doctor asks though.

9 Likes

OH wow. So how many did you have to have? Is it the 12/20?

Did you get bit by a dog or something?

1 Like