GoFundMe says anti-vaccine fundraising campaigns violate terms of service, will be taken down

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/22/gofundme-says-anti-vaccine-fun.html

“We are conducting a thorough review and will remove any campaigns currently on the platform.” — GoFundMe

7 Likes

19 Likes

Good for gofundme.

Ugh, that crowdfunding willful stupidity is actually a thing.

20 Likes

my daughter used it the year she was in the Miss Teen USA pageant. I thought it was fine for a purpose like that.

beyond that…meh.

3 Likes

Glad this source of funds is being denied to them. But is it significant source of income for antivaxsers? How does it compare to book sales, youtube income, etc.? Anyone got a good link on an expose?

And about the extinction of autism, when did that become a debate point? I’m nearsighted. If there were a way to avoid it or cure it, I’m not going to shed a tear over the extinction of nearsightedness. Avoiding vaccines ain’t the way to avoid autism, but I can’t see autism being any more desirable a trait than nearsightedness. I’m missing something. Are antivaxxers calling for literal extinction of autistic people? And if so, isn’t their effectiveness at ending autism the least of the things to worry about? Help me, I’m confused.

2 Likes

You almost never hear any good news about gofundme. This doesn’t even count as good news. This is just the end of one type of bad news.

2 Likes

GoFundMe explicitly supported the completely illegal fundraiser for Judge Brett “Still Like Beer” Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing despite notice and knowledge that neither the Judge nor his family could ever ethically or legally receive the money raised, and let it continue after they received confirmation from Kavanaugh himself that it was illegal and inappropriate.

In what could only have been a publicity effort, GoFundMe worked backchannel directly with the random dude who started the campaign to keep it going.

Ultimately they raised almost $500,000 which the random dude then decided on his own to donate to the Washington Archdiocese (since he couldn’t legally donate it to the Kavanaughs as promised, nor keep it himself), giving donors a brief window to request refunds.

I’m not anti-vaccine, but this company is just going to ride whatever hype train gets them clicks and BoingBoing just delivered for them.

4 Likes

Hey, being stupid is no fun alone.

Please don’t censor the anti-vaxxers. It will only feed into their paranoia

3 Likes

Hey, doll; long time, no see.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if discouraging people from getting vaccinated is or isn’t practicing medicine without a license. It seems really close to the line at least.

2 Likes

Hi baby doll!

3 Likes

Give the Pham my love.

4 Likes

:kissing_heart:

3 Likes

People who are heavily invested in any conspiracy theory are always extremely hostile to any efforts that would correct or limit the reach of their misinformation. That’s not a good excuse for leaving them to their own devices, though.

9 Likes

counterpoint: please censor the anti-vaxxers because fuck fuck fuckity fuck them.

11 Likes

The owners of a fund-raising service blocking anti-vaxxers from using that service isn’t censorship.

6 Likes

Demons of Ignorance

I’m afraid to find out what Scott “Fossils are Bullshit” Adams’ position is on vaccination.

2 Likes