Goldman Sachs bribed Libyan officials with hookers, private jet rides, then lost all their money

[Read the post]

1 Like

3 Likes

And, of course, the Libyan bankers and officials and the whole corrupt regime aren’t the ones suffering because of this. If they were, I might feel a bit of schadenfreude. No, this is all coming down to hurt the average Libyan citizen, who, instead of getting screwed by a hooker on a private jet, is just getting screwed.

16 Likes

But they’ll always have the memories.

3 Likes

“And this, children, is what we mean when we talk about neocolonialism.”

8 Likes

I find myself disappointed that when I read the article I discovered that the pronoun “their” in the title refers to the Libyans and not to Goldman Sachs…

5 Likes

Business Insider is on it!

Ah. I take that back…

4 Likes

In 2006, western leaders decided that Gaddafi’s oil was more important than his human rights record and complicity in terrorism and lifted sanctions against Libya…

Actually, the process of lifting of sanctions against Libya began in 2004, in response to Libya’s decision to dismantle its nuclear weapons program and its chemical weapons stockpile, and also its agreement to compensate the victims of the 1988 Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland. Full diplomatic relations with the US were restored in early 2006, after the US Government certified that Libya was no longer a sponsor of terrorism. (How much one believe such an assertion is another matter, but it was made.)

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/LibyaChronology

13 Likes

The system works!

Gaddafi was also an avowed foe of al Qaeda (being a corrupt secular dictator put him near the top of their shit-list), which potentially made him an ally in fighting al Qaeda. Libya put out an international arrest warrant out for bin Laden in March 1998, so this wasn’t just piling on the 9-11 bandwagon, either.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.