Good colored pencil set

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/21/good-colored-pencil-set.html

2 Likes

As for a sharpener, nothing beats the classic Brass Bullet.

I prefer the B2

2 Likes

I’ve used these and can concure they are pretty good for the price. Much better then many of the other options at that price point, and none of mine had any broken leads which always bums me out.

i prefer caran-d’ache, faber-castel, prismcolor, lyra, but those are all quite a bit pricier options.

Koh-I-Noor makes a woodless one that is great when you need a lot of pigment to lay down a larger area.

i love color pencils.

4 Likes

For pencils I think I’m liking the water soluble kind. You can bust out some gouache or water color and go all James Gurney with them.

5 Likes

Caran D’ache Museum Aquarelle are the best but man they cost an arm and a leg.

Koh-I-Noor Mondeluza Aquarelle are woodless so good for larger washes.

Derwent Inktense are fantastic vibrant colors, but perform more like acryllic meaning they set once wetted and dried, which can be a fantastic feature when that is exactly what you need for layering.

I use Caran D’ache and Koh-I-Noor droppoint watercolor pencils because they are refillable.

2 Likes

Good? Let’s make colored pencils GREAT again.

3 Likes

Now this is a pencil sharpener.

14 Likes

i like the bad colors

1 Like

@art_carnage do you know perchance where one can get this sharpener? They are sold out here:
http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/livdeaddolpe.html#.WDP5tJJy5Y8

Sorry, no. I came across that picture on a site that discussed the various ways of sharpening a pencil. I took a drafting class in high school, and we had a pencil sharpener that only trimmed the wood, but not the lead. We used a sanding board to sharpen the lead into a chiseled edge. I was curious if that was still done today.

1 Like

I still do that myself. I use a couple other methods as well. I suppose it just stuck with me through the years.
Just something oddly satisfying about whittling on pencils to get that special point.

I searched myself after seeing the picture. It would seem we are out of luck, they’re all gone. I did find one on an auction site starting at $99. I’m fairly certain that would start a domestic dispute at my house.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.