These woodless colored pencils are awesome

Originally published at: These woodless colored pencils are awesome | Boing Boing

1 Like

“woodless colored pencils”

Isn’t that just a crayon?

1 Like

The problem with these is that they are more fragile, so if you intend to have colored pencils that will live in a case that is meant to travel with you these might not be ideal.

3 Likes

Do you have to wear latex or nitrile gloves to avoid picking up excess pigment all over your hands?

From what i recall its generally not a huge problem but its been years since i’ve handled any. Personally speaking i used woodless pencils and i got some of the graphite on my fingers but then again i used them specifically to shade and blend which is a messy process so you just have to expect to get dirty from the start. With colored pencils if i was going through the trouble of using this kind of woodless ones it would probably be for similar reasons, if you need to do clean precision work then regular colored pencils would be the way to go.

3 Likes

I have used these for a while and they are wonderful, they combine well too. I hope you will enjoy using them. I have had one snap on me all others have behaved impeccably, I have not found them fragile (I keep them in the box and trays they came in), they hold a point well and using the side maintains the point if you don’t want to stop to sharpen.

ps Koh-I-Noor Anilinky watercolours are worth a look too (extremely concentrated pigment).

They’re woodless but coated with paint that matches the color but doesn’t rub off, so you don’t need gloves any more than you would with standard wood pencils. But they are DEFinitely more fragile, enough so that you’ll want to keep a couple of stub-holders in your kit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.