Good news: Facebook usership declined in the US and Canada for the first time ever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/01/good-news-facebook-usership-d.html

5 Likes

Finally, a trend in American business I’d like to see continue.

19 Likes

When Fbook is dead in its grave, call me.

14 Likes

I love FaceSpace and MyBooks! They are so sociamalistic.
I spend hours a day getting my news from this guy:

11 Likes

I’m proud to be part of that miniscule change… may it decline ever after.

13 Likes

I had to quit facebook. It was making me sick. I am much happier now that I don’t use facebook. I kicked twitter to the curb too.

17 Likes

If you get a call and all you hear is joyous, raucous, unrelenting laughter… that’ll be the call!

8 Likes

Could it be that people are wising up to the fact that Facebook is a depressing, computational-propaganda-spewing, personal-data-abusing, walled-in cesspool of little value to anyone but shareholders, advertisers, and election throwers?

Serious question, if this is true, why is this still a thing:

Also, don’t see this article on the FB feed. Double Dog Dare it to be :wink:

ETA _ oop - it popped up on a refresh.

4 Likes

Same. People are always like “oh yeah but…” around me. Seriously, it was such a shift for the better in my mental health to just walk away from one of the things that was hurting me. I have existing mental health issues so it’s not like it caused it but damn did it aggravate the issue. The best way I can describe it is that most people wouldn’t be like “Oh you quit using heroin? That’s great but I mean couldn’t you just use it on the weekends?” I think for some people the toxicity of it is just too much. But since it’s so common people kind of feel like you hate THEM for using it.

5 Likes

Worth rolling this out again i suppose…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNgCnY1lPg

I’m just trying to work out where friendface ends and facebook begins: the lines are blurred.

6 Likes

People usually can’t stand listening to their relatives talk about politics at Thanksgiving, so why would they want access to the same sort of conversations on their phone the other 364 days of the year?

I’d file that news about the decline under the no shit sherlock tag

3 Likes

Could it be that people are wising up to the fact that Facebook is a depressing, computational-propaganda-spewing, personal-data-abusing, walled-in cesspool of little value to anyone but shareholders, advertisers, and election throwers?

If you are reading these words, you came here from a boingboing.net page with a Facebook tracking pixel on it.

I ain’t mad–that’s what blockers are for–but let’s either dial back the outrage or apply it to all websites that are complicit in the “propaganda-spewing, data-abusing cesspool,” mkay?

5 Likes

That’s very true. Ending a toxic pattern can’t mean “resist this thing unless it costs you anything whatsoever to do so”.

I will put my hand up and say that, if Boing Boing went cold turkey on ads and cut ties to FB, and asked for a subscription fee in exchange, I would be open to that.

6 Likes

This makes me happy.

Putting my hand up here too.

3 Likes

never uzed ;it

Must admit every time i use facebook these days i come away disappointed, it just shows the same old crap, and if you try and change the feed to date order now, it only shows you ten things and wont show you any more, it makes you go back to the stupid curated feed to see more than 10 items, but only every shows me the same old tired crap again and again, from like weeks ago some times, just because some one commented on it, facebook is so irreverent now, i only check it out of habit, I am at the point where i could take it off my phone and not miss it.

For those still using, this will help:

…just don’t call me “friend”

2 Likes

oh yeah, the frontpage. nearly forgot about that.

1 Like