Good reality check: Conspiracy Theories and Secret Societies For Dummies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/07/good-reality-check-conspiracy.html

3 Likes

Pro Tip:

Only use quick release tin foil for your hat.

3 Likes

This short video kills most conspiracy theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hug0rfFC_L8

4 Likes

This sounds like a book I’d enjoy, thank you!

There’s an older book on conspiracies, co-authored by Robert Anton Wilson, called Everything Is Under Control, It’s an interesting artifact even beyond the subject matter. It’s set up like a mini-encyclopedia, but because of when it was written, it actually comes off a lot like a paper wiki, complete with hyperlink references to dead GeoCities pages. It’s got entries for conspiracies and conspirators real, suspected, and imagined. Twenty years old this year, it’s got “Crop Circles” but not “Chemtrails.”

Anyway, anyone who likes this may also like that other thing.

3 Likes

This is new? I’ve bought almost the same book several times over the years. Also, I just love the books promoting the CT, they’re so much fun!

2 Likes

Came here to mention that very book. Loads of stuff I’ve never heard of, and I used to read Fortean Times religiously. The matter-of-fact style makes it vastly entertaining. The authors don’t present anything as established fact, but nor do they attempt to refute anything (apart from obnoxious shite like the Protocols of the Elders of Zion).

Sample entry:

The Priory of Sion

The Priory of Sion is one of the most enigmatic of all secret societies, and can seriously be suspected of being a serious conspiracy and also of being nothing but an elaborate hoax by some witty French aristocrats.

1 Like

Oh, but would a hoax make their own beer just like all the Trappist priories? Nah, there’s more to it…

3 Likes

One would not expect something of unusual quality under the “For Dummies” brand. What other hidden gems may there be?

Unbiased review of this book: That’s What They WANT You To Think.
[note: unbiased because I didn’t read it, because the Illuminati are watching me]

4 Likes

The invisible evil hand stacking the deck against me just got one layer deeper with the counter info war.

That’s what they want you to think.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.