Good tip for drawstring sweatpants

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/01/good-tip-for-drawstring-sweatp.html

2 Likes

Good tip. Me? I just gain weight until I don’t need the drawstring.

15 Likes

This tip has nothing to do with wearing the garment, but rather the laundering the garment.

1 Like

Cute. I’ve just been tying a knot at each eyelet for years.

I have a deep need for the two ends of the cord hanging out of my hoodie to be the same length. Those two knots insure symmetry, and make me feel smugly better than all the chaotic losers around me.

9 Likes

This is called a fisherman’s knot.

10 Likes

Very sophisticated idea. I just tie the far ends of the drawstrings together in a square knot and then depend on the elastic waist to keep the pants from falling down to my knees. ProTip: don’t put anything heavier than a phone in the pockets.

4 Likes

Teenage kids, lots of hoodies. It’s an after the fact fix it solution. There’s no convincing them to prevent anything.

1 Like

I do drawcords with a loop turner rather than a bodkin, but whatever works for you.

I also tend to put a nice big wooden bead above the knot that keeps the cord from pulling through - even more bulky than just the knot, and the bigger area pulls at the eyelet less.

Neat little reminder of that knot- that written I suggest…

Cord Locks!

Source: Wikipedia- Cord Lock.

I just add cord locks to anything with a drawstring.
I started saving them from cloths as I cycled out of them. I am also lucky, I bought a good handful at the local art reuse store in a few different colors and sizes. These plus knots at the end of the drawstrings have kept the cords from coming loose in the wash.

I tend to keep my clothes for a while (decades if I can), so elastic tends to die, hence the want to use cord locks on the drawstring to adjust the size quickly.

2 Likes

“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.” ― Karl Lagerfeld

4 Likes

My first teacher who did jewelrysmithing showed us how to do this when we made a necklace; it lets you adjust the length of the cord so the necklace or pendant hangs right.

2 Likes

You know, if you knot the very ends together, you can still tie a bow. Just skip the first stage of the bow (the overhand knot) and go straight to looping the loops.

2 Likes

I subscribe to prime, but I’m not completely sure that I’m getting my money’s worth these days.

That knot is adorable. (Something I’d never said or even thought of before.)

1 Like

And yet, his ‘line’ included sweats! What a Teutonic Tartuffe!

1 Like

Who needs tips for drawing sweatpants? They’re the easiest thing in the world to draw. If you can’t draw sweatpants, you better give up!

Good tip for drawstring sweatpants

Oh.
Nevermind.

2 Likes

I used to lose drawstrings all the time. Then I started making sure the two ends were even length every time I wore. Never lost an end again.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.