Bungie cords! Bungie cords! Bungie cords!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/bungie-cords-bungie-cords-bu.html

The ball end bungie straps come in handy too.

Oh do tell.

9 Likes

Hmm.

Bungee cords were my constant companion when my only transportation was a motorcycle.

7 Likes

I can’t look at a bungee cord without imagining it slapping me in the face somehow. Too many traumatic attempts to use them that ended in failure.

2 Likes

A contractor acquaintance told me to never rely on bungie cords to keep things on a vehicle. Instead, he relies on rope and ye olde boy scout knots. His reasoning is just drive down the highway and notice all the bungies on the side of the road.

I was dubious at first but sure enough now I notice TONS of bungies on the side of the highway.

5 Likes

I need these for my urban survival kit.

A few bungie cords, a tarp or rain poncho, and you can have a plow-point shelter up in a minute.

3 Likes

That’s my description of Motel [negative] 6.

1 Like

Includes 10”, 18”, 24”, 32”, 40” Bungee Cord and 8” Canopy/Tarp Ball Ties

Yet, none of which, alone or in combination, are ever the right size for what you’re trying to do.

7 Likes

Um, they stretch / extend to the correct size. I thought you should know…

You light one end of the 24" cord, then wait till it’s burned halfway through…

4 Likes

Same here. I even happened to have this particular “tub o’ bungee” then, except it didn’t come with the ball-ends, and was much less expensive. I still have half of them, at least.

2 Likes

Bungies are great until you lose an eye, and then you move on to cam lock lashing straps. Or rope and a trucker’s hitch. You do miss that eye though, and you wonder how it’s doing these days.

6 Likes

They stretch to half an inch too short or half an inch too loose. Now where did I leave my half-empty glass?

5 Likes

Ratcheting straps changed my life. Only way to secure a load.

4 Likes

NRS tie down straps are a better choice.

3 Likes

I cannot imagine, myself. But I do find the pointed end on these a most useful alternative feature. :wink:

Seriously, I acquired a load of these a few years back and they have done as much service as standard bungee cords. Very versatile, not least in the ability to daisy-chain them.

It went to the big city and started a band with other like minded eyes.

ETA: Ratchet straps FTW!

2 Likes

Can confirm. We have quite a collection of cam lock tiedowns. Definitely useful when hauling beehives around, taking scrap metal to the recycler, stacking cut tree branches to drive to the chipper machine, etc.

This one is very useful:

If you’ve got to drive any distance with stuff that must be anchored down, you don’t want it shifting, working itself loose, falling off, falling over, rolling around inside your vehicle or outside and on to the drivers near you.

3 Likes
2 Likes