Bungee catapult over the Nevis Valley

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/bungee-catapult-over-the-nevis.html

4 Likes

Bungee jumping looks scarier to me.

4 Likes

Uh, that’ll be one big NOPE from me. A single flight of stairs can give me the willies these days.

2 Likes

Came looking for the badger ‘nope nope nope’ gif and sure I won’t be disappointed for long.

Also, what a crap video. Never actually showed what happened after the launch, really. How much bouncing around? In which directions? How are the people retrieved?

3 Likes

Spatula, matchbox.

13 Likes

Retrieved? Woah, woah, woah…retrieving people would take extra engineering, time and expense. There’s a reason this is rigged over a giant canyon. This ride is called the bungee catapult, not the bungee retrieval system.

Man, people are so entitled these days…

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

Cool!
So how are they ejected from the harness?
Showing THAT would make it a hugely better video!
:wink:

1 Like

If I live to be 100, I will never understand the appeal of recreational activities predicated on the sensation of feeling like you might die.

I wonder if these same people would get a pleasurable rush from, say, being mugged at gunpoint? It’s essentially the same physical sensation, and probably costs roughly as much, in the end.

Is the goal to hit the other side? Asking for a friend…

1 Like

I would not even make it across that bridge to the launch platform.

2 Likes

at $250 a pop I’m going to pass

1 Like

The bridge looks like it may come down at any moment.

1 Like

My son did the bungee from that one a couple of months back - 134m down, he had blood blisters on his forehead from the deceleration (or possibly pressure during the spring back…). An optician once said the main reason she’d never do one is that there are too many detached retina stories!

I wouldn’t even get on that bus:

bus

3 Likes

Better%20idea

1 Like

This is what Nevis jumping looked like 18 years ago (hence the crappy resolution / partially video’d from TV screen) … and I had hair back then :smiley:

Nevis 2000 awesome / vintage video

I remember talking to a sport parachutist who thought bungee jumping was way too dangerous to ever do. :thinking: I have no idea what the actual relative risks are. Humans are pretty bad at calculating relative risk accurately.

1 Like

A friend you don’t want to hit the other side? Or the other way around? :thinking:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.