Google, Amazon, Twitter, other Big Tech to Congress: New California data privacy rules too tough

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/26/google-amazon-twitter-other.html

3 Likes

Google, Amazon, Twitter, other Big Tech to Congress: We too greedy

Fixed that for them

15 Likes

Of course they want Federal regulation.

The government of California is about the only state that hasn’t starved itself into a coma. Federal regulators are not only captured; they are also so desperately underfunded they don’t have the staff to do a damn thing. California just might have some skilled lawyers ready to put teeth in the law.

4 Likes

Sorry, not sorry, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. You have been reckless, indiscriminate, and negligent with our personal information for entirely too long. You need to be held accountable for your cavalier attitude toward our privacy rights.

5 Likes

If Big Tech is whining about the strictness of privacy rules, you’re going in the right direction. Please don’t stop.

5 Likes

After all the work it took to be GDPR compliant, surely it can’t be too burdensome.

6 Likes

Agreed. This is a case of the foxes complaining that the henhouse rules are too strict.

4 Likes

Honestly, until the feds have the balls to go “we don’t care whether or not you see the details first, you have no say” then I don’t want the feds preempting privacy laws

4 Likes

The whole burdensome argument is such thin ice to me. Just like @ficuswhisperer says, all these companies did the GDPR thing (which was not insignificant, I know). I also see, say, food companies that whine about having to label their products as being too burdensome. I just can’t buy it: If they can spend millions to develop their brand, they can spend far less to give their customers real information.

5 Likes

A better headline: “Greedy, usurious tech firms terrified gravy train will stop rolling.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.