Google hires private ferry service

When will be shed of Wall Street? Can someone take these jackasses out of lower Manhattan for us?

Yes, it should be easier. Iā€™d probably support any relaxing of building restrictions/red tape as long as it doesnā€™t result in unfair displacement of renters or have drastic unintended consequences. City needs to build up. Pretty much every vacant lot or dilapidated and closed gas station in my neighborhood is being cleaned up and developed. I wish the architecture was less cheap and unimaginative, but thatā€™s the economics&design of construction these days, what can you doā€¦

OH, I do want to mention that the kind of development needs some scrutiny, because I really hope we donā€™t build a bunch of crap like Park Merced: ugly, isolated, claustrophobic and no one wants to live there.

Right, the buildings with a whole floor of garage in the bottom can be very bad in quakes. One at a time, okay, I suppose youā€™re right, but the only way it would be politically possible is to wait for a building to be vacant before bulldozing it. Probably wouldnā€™t be very easy, let alone ethical to displace people.

Part of the reason for that is that some of the best undeveloped real estate (i.e. the old Naval Shipyard near Hunters point) still has toxic waste that nobody seems eager to clean up.

1 Like

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/2014/01/lennar-snags-30m-loan-for-shipyard.html

Yep, I actually know some people involved. (Tentative yay, I guess?) But various parties playing hot potato with the toxic waste issue is why that area wasnā€™t developed decades ago.

Right, but the current construction boom is incentivizing some of that. Like I said, the abandoned gas station lots on Valencia and Mission Streets that were empty for years are even being developed. The state or something offers some reimbursement or tax breaks or something to get people to clean it up and develop it but it was never worth it until now I guess.

What are all these businesses that youā€™re talking about in Illinois?

Funny, I live in Oakland and have for seven years now and what your describing isnā€™t the norm. There are fights about gentrification but youā€™re painting a far more actively negative picture than the reality.

In fact, thereā€™s a reasonably extensive public ferry system in place in the Bay Area.

That being said, this is the first time Iā€™ve heard of a private ferry. Like trains, boats are extremely efficient for moving large groups of people around, but Iā€™d imagine much less efficient for transporting just a couple dozen.

Iā€™m curious to know what your ethnicity, so I may mock it.

Or is that racist?

Anyway, I am home. In Southern Illinois, where it may be flyover country in that region sometimes called Mid-South, a part of the country that Boing Boing contributors and commenters regularly mock for being poor and lacking in the class and sophistication theyā€™re used to when theyā€™re not too busy pretending to care about poor people. Yep, the weatherā€™s crappy out here, itā€™s true, and thereā€™s not the exciting night life or the exciting culture life, but them things is for them as has, not the poors.

SF has been an expensive place to live for decades now. Decent-paying jobs may be scarce here, but median home price here is $66k while the median home price in SF is $798k. Median household income where I live is only $34k, but median income in SF is $73k. In other words, the ratio of median home price to median household income is somewhere around 2:1ā€“often considered the idealā€“the household price to income ratio in SF is around 10:1. Great way to end up underwater on a loan. Do they have an overabundance of dumbasses there? When we bought this house 10 years ago, we bought it from a lady who was moving to LA. In the neighborhood she was moving to, she told us, our $110k house would, at that time, run about $500k, and property values out there continued to rise after that. Iā€™ve seen pictures of million-dollar Silicon Valley homes that look like dumps compared to here. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t follow the advice of some of my peers and drop out, move to SV, get a job at a Dotbomb, and drink my way to riches. (For one thing, the market fell apart shortly after I graduated and they were out of work college dropouts with no discernible skills, so thereā€™s that.)

When your income approaches $73k, and you claim you canā€™t live anywhere else or youā€™re one of teh poors, my sympathy trends toward zero. If you live in SF, youā€™re privileged. Period.

Is it for a couple dozen though?

Iā€™d argue that beschizza is concern driving trollies. Very little about Boing Boing suggests that anyone here gives a crap about poor people. Iā€™m guessing most of them would crap themselves and run fast if we dropped them into East St. Louis or Cairo.

Poor downstaters, you could always secede from Chicago like you often threaten to. Itā€™s always fun to remind you guys of how that would shake out in reality.

1 Like

Take that, poors!

EDIT: I have to expand on that. 65% of the state lives in Chicagolandā€“Iā€™m counting Cook, collar counties, anything thatā€™s part of the ā€œurban sprawlā€. They also have the lionā€™s share of the stateā€™s wealth. We have asshats down here who, rather than cessation, want to kick the Chicago area out of the state. Brilliant plan: at a time when Illinois is more in debt than any other U.S. state, letā€™s get rid of most of the revenue.

But hey, you guys have a lower tax burden, and youā€™re about to shift more tax burden onto us via teachersā€™ pensions, and the entire state pays for CTA, so you have that going for you.

ā€œCheckmate, poors!ā€

Jesus Christ, how asinine can you be? Have you driven down 101 from San Francisco to San Jose (or the reverse) during rush hour? Itā€™s a disaster.

Hereā€™s an idea, how about we force Google to scuttle the ferry so that its employees have to drive to work everyday! Thatā€™ll show em for trying to unclog our overtaxed roads in an environmentally-friendly manner!

3 Likes

I canā€™t name any off the top of my head, but weā€™ve had quite a few bug out here downstate, mostly industrial jobs, so mostly jobs that employ thousands of people at a time. The notion that itā€™s taxes may or may not be a lame copout, just like ā€œwe went out of business because Obamacareā€ is probably code for ā€œweā€™re broke because we suck at mathā€.

I wouldnā€™t mind working at Google. Can you get me an interview?

Because this is the internet, I can work from home, right?

1 Like

You make this sound almost as if this situation isnā€™t entirely Googleā€™s fault.

I think thatā€™s an unfairly broad statement.

1 Like