Google killing uBlock Origin, Chrome's most popular ad blocker

A post was merged into an existing topic: Q&A on Non-Moderation Matters (Mechanics, How-To, etc.)

Against my better judgement, but likewise. Worked out ok, too. Happy to support a good cause, even if by strange means.

I kind of feel like this with Firefox on Android. I’m using NoScript & uBO (which, I just realized, I’d disabled at some point for the BBS) & generally I have to fiddle with the NoScript settings when I hit a website for the 1st time (there are a few where I always allow it). Eternal vigilance, etc.

3 Likes

i use eff’s privacy badger which works pretty effortlessly, but then occasionally open things in private tabs for sites like ars which ad-wall their site. ( i should really just pay for ars. i’ll get around to it, i swear. )

5 Likes

My original gripe with Chrome (and, by extension, anything based on Chromium) was when they removed menu navigation in their Windows version of the app.

It’s become the Windows 8 of web browsers, forcing me to jump through hoops to accomplish the same task as I do in Firefox.
If menu operations are a bridge too far, then why aren’t they removing the macOS version from the App Store?

I can’t believe how much any willful reduction in functionality irks me, but I never bought a Windows 8 computer for the same damn reason. I uninstalled Chrome and haven’t installed the app on two Windows computers since then.

At least I’m avoiding the continuing enshittification of Chrome, but I’m disappointed Brave wasn’t “brave” enough to restore menu functionality (I yeeted that app too). :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I use both privacy badger and ublock. Likely unnecessary but I had noticed some stuff would occasionally get past one or the other, but with both I rarely have any issues

3 Likes

It may be unnecessary, but I also run both of those. (Short version is one is best at killing trackers, the other has a nice blacklist function.) I also use “Cookie Autodelete” which delete all cookies for a site unless I specifically add it to the white list. (It has more options than all or nothing, but that’s the basic purpose.)

6 Likes

Firefox is doing a lot to ruin what’s left of its good reputation though.

Here’s a study about privacy (older than the telemetry mentioned above) that ranks Firefox close to Chrome, i.e. not particularly good.

I am running uBO on top of Brave because brave does not block all ads, and breaks some sites. The combination of both gives me way more leverage to get rid of ads and still use the sites.

But some people have to, because they have to use company or school laptops or Chromebooks.

For a while v2 compatibility can be maintained, but Google will see to that new features rely on v3 code so that it will be more and more costly to maintain that.

IIRC there were some better informed comments about that BTL of this article on ars technica.

What kind of navigation are you talking about?

4 Likes

I second the recommendation of Cookie Autodelete. I find the “greylist” capability to be really nice for sites I may visit several times while the browser is running, but not necessarily within a certain time frame.

So, I have some sites on “whitelist” (keep the cookies), some on “greylist” (delete the cookies when the browser exits), and everything else defaults to “blacklist” (delete the cookies when I close that browser tab). You can even adjust the delay after closing the tab before the cookies are deleted.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.