Google tries to define a valid family. Predictable awfulness ensues

They come from the mold that forms when you leave a 64-oz Mountain Dew cup unwashed for nine months

3 Likes

This happens quite a bit

2 Likes

Bobby, Cindy, you’re no longer cute anymore, take a hike. Peter, nobody ever liked you, so get lost. Cousin Oliver… someone take Cousin Oliver out back and shoot him.

5 Likes

This stuff has to come from qualified people specifically tasked to do this research. Even good programmers can’t be expected to have a comprehensive understanding of social dynamics, Jeez, if they did, they wouldn’t be programmers.

It does look like true cluelessness, because it’s so weirdly counterproductive. If they want to maximize profits, they should be trying to gouge more licenses from the richest folks (families with multiple houses and yachts, for example) and not those less fortunate (families with members in service abroad, for example). The Willy Sutton principle.

2 Likes

Naw, They emerge from the enormous tangle of cables that every computer repair shop has in the back store room.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t clear :slight_smile:

I know why say TOR has the license for Scalzi’s books in the USA, but in countries where they don’t do business some other companies have the license (or in some countries literally no one is authorized to sell).

The question is how you split the take across the companies if you try to deal with a family that has members in different countries.

Business logic as in “I’m writing code to carry out the policy, but what exactly is it in this interesting set of cases!” As opposed to “how can companies even claim to blah-blah”

1 Like

Well, that explains part of what happened to the Cook family.

3 Likes

Use cases I can think of require formal and informal names. The formal name being what you would address a package to and the informal being what you might put at the top of an email. In some cases the informal name would not be found in the informal name.

2 Likes

Kinda reminds me when Magnatune decided their paying customers were allowed to give away three copies of the music files they bought.

The fun part is that they still had no intent of tracking, let alone punishing, abuses, and the files were DRM-free to begin with anyway. No, they just wanted abusers to know that they should feel bad, and that was it.

Been a while since I’ve checked their catalog. Found fine stuff there in the past.

2 Likes

When I read Cory’s post I ended up wondering where I already heard the complain that rightsholders were trying to define and impose a definition of family on everyone. At first I thought about Jérémie Zimmermann at a conference I saw back in 2008 or so. But then I remembered when and where I first heard that argument: at the Utopiales science-fiction festival, autumn 2006, a conference by… Cory Doctorow.

1 Like

I had visions of naming our son “Deuteronomy”, but the shortened nickname possibilities, “Deutie” among them, swayed me against it.

This scans so much more nicely on a Hallmark card, don’t you think?

Wait! Grandpa and Grandma Murphy have the Chili Peppers? Screw my own license-defined end user group!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.