Google will now allow you to set your data history to self-destruct

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/better-forgettery.html

3 Likes

Cory, does this mean you have enabled data collection with this new data retention feature?

1 Like

For some measure of trust I would trust google more to retain that setting than a Facebook.

1 Like

I wish that the definition of “your data” went beyond what is stored when I use Google. How about the data about me and my relatives gathered by companies and displayed by Google that I wish would never again see the light of day? Where can I find that self-destruct feature?

4 Likes

… and why do we believe this “self-destruction” actually happens? :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

True, Android 10 is a step in the right direction. Also true: some developers didn’t do their homework, and apps hard-crash if you restrict the location usage to when using the app.

But I’m really, really happy that e.g. Airbnb and the likes can now be restricted to while actually in use. I’m also surprised to see that some apps apparently wake up after quite some time and query your location in the background for no reason whatsoever - and I really like the new feature.

Deleting the history after 18 months also seems like a step in the right direction. I’ll try that. I’m actually using the ex-Google News (now Google Discover, or whatever) feed daily now, and am tuning it to my needs by actively pushing some topics. And it’s starting to get useful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.