GOP governor refuses to believe Oklahoma has a higher crime rate than New York or California

Originally published at: GOP governor refuses to believe Oklahoma has a higher crime rate than New York or California | Boing Boing

13 Likes

“Don’t try to sway me with your empiricism and facts, member of the reality-based community”.

36 Likes

Did anything come of the “fact check” the moderator ran? Or did they just let him bully her and get away with . . .

Ah, sorry. lol. Answered my own question there.

26 Likes

The BBS link on the main article for this seems broken. Just links back to the article.

This seems to happen randomly for me on BoingBoing. Any idea why?

6 Likes

It’s so infuriating how most of our society’s policies on crime are based on flat-out lies. Like “violent crime is on the rise!” (it’s been on the decline for more than a generation) or “America is soft on crime!” (we have the highest incarceration rate in the world) or “we need more tough-on-crime folks like Sheriff Joe Arpaio!” (his brutal and unconstitutional treatment of suspects and convicts did nothing to lower crime rates).

29 Likes

Everywhere seems to abound in that shit logic. “Something happened, we need more coppers!”

We have more coppers and we didn’t have any money left over for amenities/addiction treatment/ mental health care etc. so something else happens “we need more coppers!”

It’s the mantra that always works for politicians.

19 Likes

It happens somewhat regularly. There are theories why, but I think it’s still a mystery. It’s been termed the “Circular Comment Button of Doom”

17 Likes

Nope, they all just made fun of her because she’s a “silly woman” and that’s pretty much the talking points now from it. It went nowhere.

Despite being true.

11 Likes

Facts and science will not convince a person whose whole line of “reasoning” begins with rejecting objective facts and any means to evaluate them. I don’t know that there is a way to do that, other than to make them irrelevant and joke fodder until they go away in shame.

16 Likes

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the “logic” that makes this so absurd in their eyes is that New York and California have higher populations, therefore they must have higher crime rates. The idea of comparing rates among different-sized populations is too complicated for them to grasp.

16 Likes

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that’s even REMOTELY true.

• Homer Simpson
12 Likes

… or they want more money for training, as if they didn’t already have a training budget

Correct training shouldn’t cost extra money

JUST STOP FUCKING UP AND DO THE JOB RIGHT, THAT’S ALREADY WHAT YOU GET PAID FOR

11 Likes

Face it America. We are in Maga world now. The 2022 midterm elections are going to decide the trajectory of our nation. Which way do you want to go?

6 Likes

I wish she would have cited her source. Stating that her information came from the FBI Crime Data Explorer would have strengthened her point.

5 Likes

There’s a carjacking down in the meadow
There’s a carjacking down in the meadow
The crime is as high as an elephant’s eye,
An’ it looks like it’s climbin’ clear up to the sky.

@almighty_bob “F’get it, Jack, this is MAGAtown.”

6 Likes

"The FBI? (scoffs loudly) Oh well, we all know what the FBI are like. (winks at the MAGA section of the audience)"

10 Likes

Statistical illiteracy seems highly likely; though I wouldn’t discount ‘feels crime is scarier and more important when a black guy does it’ as a possible confounding factor.

7 Likes

The Red State murder problem

5 Likes

8 of the top 10 murder states are Red. Most of the poverty stricken states in the country are Red. They live on subsidies from Blue states and the money Washington sends them (even then, their corruption doesn’t get the money to the right people. MS I’m looking at you). They want to secede and set up their own country? They don’t understand that they will have to completely set up their own gov’t, pay their employees, make trade agreements, generate their own money, no more gov’t contracts and all federal facilities will be pulled, on and on and on.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, I think most of them would rather remake the country into their fascist fantasyland than merely secede. Though if they did manage to get their wish, I imagine a lot of things would very quickly collapse for the same reasons you mentioned. Their entire worldview is fundamentally estranged from reality, and that’s not sustainable for long without the support of normal people.

7 Likes