Gorgeous Victorian early typewriter

[Read the post]

2 Likes

1892 and itā€™s already QWERTY! Doesnā€™t look too ergonomical otherwise, though.

1 Like

Are you implying the QWERTY layout is ergonomic?

Iā€™ll let you try my Martinelli.

4 Likes

No thanks, Iā€™ll wait for the Improved No. 5 model, wherein the paper is visible and the keys are in straight rows.

2 Likes

Salter still sell scales today. Their website even briefly mentions their early typewriters.

3 Likes

Actually, yes, that was my intention. I have not read studies that back this up nor even looked it up, but I think it is good that successive letters are often far apart on the keyboard, which requires moving around a lot and prevents clenching up in a rigid position. At least I prefer this to the way goal the DVORAK layout aspires to reach.

1 Like

I had heard that the QWERTY design was based around placing frequently used keys apart so that the striking bits wouldnā€™t get tangled during fast typing.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. And I feel that this also makes for a more pleasant typing experience, at least for me.

1 Like

Iā€™ll stick with my Clark Novaā€¦

4 Likes

The Salter is one of Englandā€™s first typewriters and is a stunning example of a piece of Victorian engineering.

They couldnā€™t figure out how to have a straight keyboard, to actually fit human hands? I dunno if Iā€™d call that ā€œstunning.ā€

Hmmā€¦

4 Likes

It isnā€™t really necessary now that so many of us have changed to golfball sytle word processors; but. I guess, it would be a pain to get used to a new layout.

2 Likes

Ermā€¦ can you hook me up with someā€¦ umā€¦ roach powder?

5 Likes

Noā€¦no, but Iā€™ve got something tastier for you to try. The true black meat. The flesh of the giant aquatic Brazilian centipede. Are youā€¦innarested?

4 Likes

I find Coryā€™s remark that ā€œTo see what you have typed you would have to look up and over this shield, so no slouching in the chair.ā€ both amusing and revelatory. Those of us who learned to touch-type on typewriters, know that ā€œsee[ing] what you have typedā€ is a requirement only for those who canā€™t touch-type. In the early 70s, my printing job required the occasional use of a ā€œblindā€ keyboard that had no display to see what was being typed and produced a punched paper tape for use in a phototypesetter. An employee who consistently made more than three or four errors per eight-hour shift would be fired. Nobody was fired, because nobody ever consistently made that many errors. Those of you who have to rely on a display to tell you what your muscles have been doing have my sympathy.

I dunno where I stand then. I canā€™t touch type, tend to glance between the keyboard and the screen. Iā€™m often watching something on another display and am aware when Iā€™ve made mistakes based on my semi-touch awareness and can usually correct, or begin to correct, the mistake based on theā€¦ record(?) in my mind without looking at either the keyboard or the screen.

Coping mechanisms without the benefit of learning formal techniques occupy that weird, complex space between competency and incompetency I guess. And I only appear to be getting non-formally better at my coping techniqueā€¦ ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.