Gorilla Rack shelving units are awesome

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/gorilla-rack-shelvin.html

Just don’t let the particle board get wet (obvious really.)

1 Like

We have several in our utility room and storage shed, and they are excellent at holding enormous weights (power tools and close to 90 full bankers’ boxes of books).

One warning: be very, very careful not to let anything bump them when they’re taken down. Those little slots where the shelves and legs fit together are really easy to bend so that they don’t want to fit together.

2 Likes

These are really nice and actually with a little bit of creative problem solving you can actually use these as bookshelves if you have a lot of books or other heavy items. I’m part of 2 high end figure collector’s clubs online and some people use these, and you can make these look less “industrial” by using some laminate or wood strips to cover up the metal. With some minor planning it can be removable too :slight_smile:

I would have liked to be there for that decluttering. I imagine the conversation went something like the following:

Carla: What’s this?
Mark: Oh wow, that’s my battery-powered caulking gun!
Carla: Keep, donate, or trash/recycle?
Mark: Definitely keep.
Carla: [Rolls eyes]

Carla: And what’s this?
Mark: Woah, that’s one of the 37 cigar-box guitars I’ve made.
Carla: Keep, donate, or trash/recycle?
Mark: Definitely keep.
Carla: [Rolls eyes]

7 Likes

These are great shelves, but put a couple of coats of paint on the boards. The particle board will dissolve on contact with water.

2 Likes

I was just looking for modular industrial shelving about a week ago.

I know as a machinist most of the material supply houses in the country and I found one recently that has prices that are almost half of everyone else and incredible selection. Pretty sure they have these exact shelves too.

I need 3500lb shelf capacity, and solid metal shelves for equipment, and boltless assembly modular, and they have that.

Check em out, not affiliated with them- but theyre cheaper than McMaster-Carr, Amazon, MSC, Uline, and Fastenal-

https://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/shelving/boltless

2 Likes

How many gorillas will she hold? :gorilla:

3 Likes

It should be explicitly pointed out that there are a million brands of this type of shelving, and the good ones are good, but the bad ones are terrible.

3 Likes

I was always wondering where you kept all those kitchen gadgets.

1 Like

I cut new shelves for mine out of 5//8" ply.

6 Likes

Great shelves. I’m surrounded by several right now. Got them at Sams Club.

Kudos for assembling by yourself. Strong shelves, but incredibly fiddly to assemble.

1 Like

Bought these years ago myself, and they are great!

Just one.

3 Likes

Seems pricey. Pretty sure I got mine for around half of that at METRO a couple of years ago.
But yes, good shelves.

Yeah, I would chalk this up as an endorsement for this sort of DIY shelving in general, not some specific brand. And really, this is something worth getting at the local hardware store instead of filling Amazon’s coffers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.