Gorillas at San Diego zoo test positive for COVID-19

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/13/gorillas-at-san-diego-zoo-test-positive-for-covid-19.html

3 Likes

So sad to see this. I grew up in San Diego in the 1970s and so the “San Diego Zoo method” of showing animals in a natural habitat, instead of in cages or sterile boxes, seemed normal to me. I didn’t realize it was cutting-edge until I saw a zoo in LA or Phoenix or somewhere. They, and the Wild Animal Park to the north, have always been at the forefront of conservation and public education when it comes to a zoo “experience.” It’s really sad to see that this horrible disease is spreading to an already-endangered animal population.

4 Likes

Son of a bitch.

1 Like

Considering how hard Africa is being hit with COVID-19, I wonder if it has migrated to the native gorilla or other primate populations yet. An asymptomatic researcher or tourist or warden would be all it would take, after all. Some quick searching shows that it is a concern, but there doesn’t seem to be any hard data yet.

1 Like

Dammit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.