Governor Brian Kemp bans Georgia cities and counties from mandating masks

I have an immediate family member whose residence is in Georgia but is currently working overseas in a low-covid country. They are doing everything possible to stay where they are and not have to return because it would mean returning to Georgia, much less the US in general.

16 Likes

I thought conservatives were for government as local as possible?

11 Likes

From the linked article…

Kemp’s administration on Tuesday signed a deal with Piedmont Healthcare, one of four large hospital systems in the Atlanta area, to open 62 beds in a new tower at the system’s main Atlanta hospital.

Wow. 62 beds. We’re fucking saved… That will surely help in the metro area which has… checks notes around 4.5 million people… THANKS, BRIAN!!! /s

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

19 Likes

Lets see… 62 divided by 4.5…

Carry the one…

Move the decimal point around a few times…

Imagine unicorns and puppies…

Try dividing by the square root of -1…

Stare lovingly at the picture of the Orange Menace on the wall…

Make up a new number for the answer…

Yup, ATL is all good! @Mindysan33, you are saved!

22 Likes

Here in Texas our Governor and other politicians were obsessed with talking about beds a couple weeks ago. Like “we got it under control we got plenty of beds” which is an infuriatingly stupid metric of having a pandemic “under control.” I can only assume, the way things are going, that soon their standard line of shit will be “we’ve got plenty of graves so we’re all good.”

19 Likes

It’s amazing how well you can recreate his thought processes so accurately!

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry|nullxnull

Ugh… we’re so fucked…

It would be far better to enact mandatory mask and social distancing requirements and try to flatten the curve, so the hospitals don’t get overwhelmed. I know especially in the rural areas in GA, we have hospitals for years now closing down! And guess where some of the first hot spots were… not in the ATL, where we probably have the highest hospital capacity anywhere in the state…

20 Likes

Right. The intelligent, rationale thing to do is to actually take real life steps to slow the spread of the virus (encourage mask use, maybe even distribute masks) however for some reason some “leaders” seem to think the issue is not with people getting sick but rather whether or not they will have a bed to die in when they do. I really don’t understand how our society has been around so long with such utterly incompetent, criminally unintelligent “leadership.”

12 Likes

Of all the things that I truly have trouble believing are really real, the trend of Governors forbidding cities and towns from enacting/enforcing basic public health measures during a pandemic constitute nearly a dozen of the top five.

It’s as if Poe’s Law had taken corporeal form.

16 Likes

For one, it was not always being the case. During the liberal consensus era, whatever it’s flaws, science and expertise found plenty of popular support and government sponsorship/funding (not always for good and positive ends, of course, but still). While there were always anti-science types, they were a distinct minority with little public attention, especially from the news media, which took it’s rule as neutral arbiter more seriously. Hence, neither party took all that fringe noise seriously. The rise of the current wave of conservativism got a foothold after events like Vietnam, COINTELPRO, and Watergate, which really tested public trust in our government (for good fucking reason, of course) on both the left and right, giving the hard right an opening, which they used to basically take over the GOP…

15 Likes

Which the right exploited via Southern Strategy → Reagan’s Voodoo Economics → Gingrich Obstructionism → 2010 redistricting → trump codifying defiance of the law as a political asset. There’s a lot more in between, but these were major milestones in arriving at a worldview spun out of whole cloth to suit the day’s agenda.

5 Likes

This is absolutely fucking unbelievable, this is basically mandating by law more people must die.

I hope this sick fuck is sued so much over this his head spins. I have no idea how this could possibly be legal- its basically mandating more death.

What the fuck is wrong with you people? How can you claim to be pro life anything when you are creating laws that quite literally mandate a situation that will directly kill more people?

I hate this country

13 Likes

Really, at this point best we can hope for is this will just eliminate that many more MAGA cult members and prevent them from voting in November.

3 Likes

Risk a lot of lives, must be “Pro-life.”

9 Likes

This has been my questions from the start. I never agree with trump but I can usually easily see why he does various terrible things.

The virus is bad for businesses and for his base. So he chooses to hamper federal and state response AND tell his own voters to not wear masks. How is that going to win an election? If he had spent a fraction of what we spend on the military he could have owned this from the start. Tell his lemmings to wear a mask at all times for Trump, God and the US of fucking A. The liberals would do it to because science. Provides the states what they needed early on. He could have gone into this election being the hero that beat COVID. Instead he set the country on fire and then sat back waiting for the votes to roll in?

And yes, I know he is an idiot. But he is a self serving idiot. The only thing I can think of is that he either doesn’t want a second term or believes he can’t win and this is all about scorching the earth before he retreats to a place without extradition.

8 Likes

Another instance of trumpies denying reality. The CDC and all experts recommend masks to control the virus. They insist on their alternate reality where people will not get sick or die, and when people in fact get sick or die they blame the record keeping and data.

These people are profoundly dangerous - this man should be removed right now.

6 Likes

This is standard in red States, where governors and rural whites are desperate to prevent liberal cities from enacting embarrassingly effective legislation. We’ve struggled with it in Tucson as long as I’ve been here.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’d not previously been aware of the “thou shalt do no better than this minimum” form of legislation in any context other than environmental regulations. (And apparently I’m pretending that those aren’t public health measures?)

1 Like

Don’t forget that even if they fail to kill and disrupt enough to help themselves electorally, this serves double duty as a scorched earth campaign, with Republicans and the media immediately pivoting the blame to Democrats the moment they take office. This is standard practice (“Thanks Obama!”), both Reagan and Bush the Lesser tanking the economy and ravaging economic fundamentals as much as possible while in office. The difference here is the body count, but for the Republicans, so much the better.

5 Likes

Hamstringing education is even more common, but everything from civil rights to roadwork can draw the ire of rural state reps.

3 Likes

Yes, I get the history pillaging and scorching everything before handing it back to the democrats to keep them busy for a significant portion of their term. I guess when COVID first hit and trump chose his approach, I thought he had a frightening chance of winning the election :nauseated_face: Maybe the GOP has a magic 8 ball that tells them when it’s time to bail and leave the clean-up to someone else. Maybe they always knew trump was a 1 term bull in the china shop situation. Let him smash as much as possible in 4 years and then flush him.

6 Likes