Texas governor lifts mask mandate and "opens Texas 100 percent"

Originally published at: Texas governor lifts mask mandate and "opens Texas 100 percent" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

52 Likes

I guess the idea is to make everyone forget how bad Texas Republicans screwed over their constituents with the power grid thing by just unleashing the full force of a deadly disease pandemic.

71 Likes

Can’t kill people with a power outage if they all die from COVID.

66 Likes

I feel like I am watching slow motion stupid play out.

32 Likes

Now that’s just not fair.

It isn’t that slow.

36 Likes

How long until other states ban anyone coming from TX?

48 Likes

Yeah, this is less “slow-motion” and more “coming out the other end of a speed ramp” in terms of film technique analogies.

19 Likes

That’d be imposing limits on interstate commerce. The Biden admin will step in and make sure we all “hold ourselves to a higher standard than our GOP colleagues.”

8 Likes

what could possibly go wrong

11 Likes

From now on, when someone tells me they are from Texas, I will assume that means they are proudly suicidal cattle who march to the slaughter with their heads held high for the butcher’s sledgehammer.

4 Likes

That’s hardly a fair assumption. Mighty broad brush there.

26 Likes

You are absolutely correct! I stand corrected!

4 Likes

Sounds like this has everything to do with spring break. First, all the red states with beaches will open up, then most of the others will do it because “pwning Biden.”

6 Likes

Require that they must don masks while in states requiring masks. The moment they are seen w/o a mask… $10,000 fine.

I know. I’m dreaming.

12 Likes

My work immediately sent out this email after the order:

Today Governor Greg Abbott announced that effective March 10, he is lifting the statewide mask mandate and capacity limits on businesses. That being said, business owners may continue to require masks as well as have restrictions on capacity in their businesses. …
[We] will continue to keep all public health guidelines in place related to masking, physical distancing, and hand sanitizing in all of our facilities.

Hopefully, most others are doing the same. Just because the governor acts like an idiot doesn’t mean the rest of the state has to

39 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

My community has been consistently worse than the rest of the state because it is contiguous with El Paso and even though both the state and city have tried mightily to restrict travel over the border, it is basically impossible. Too many people live in El Paso and work in Las Cruces or vice versa. And El Paso has been a lot better about masks and stuff than the rest of Texas from what I can tell.

7 Likes
10 Likes

My prediction: He is going to have to re-instate some measures in a month and a half - or - Texas just lives with having some of the worst numbers in the union.

10 Likes