Gram Theft Parsons: The strange death, corpse theft, and botched desert cremation of Gram Parsons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/gram-theft-parsons-the-strange-death-corpse-theft-and-botched-desert-cremation-of-gram-parsons.html

4 Likes

That’s a good story.

9 Likes

Phil Kaufman who helped engineer and execute the burial is a book unto himself.
Before the Parsons incident, he was a cellmate of Charlie ‘Chuckles’ Manson.
Later, he was a roadie for Frank Zappa, and can be seen in the film Baby Snakes performing a ‘make believe’ trombone solo.

11 Likes
9 Likes

I always find Ask a Mortician to be entertaining, interesting and informative; though the one about the Great Lakes is a bit sobering.

7 Likes

Would this be the inspiration behind that subplot in the movie SOB?

IMBD says that was something involving John Barrymore’s corpse being propped up in a chair to startle a drunken Errol Flynn, but this seems to fit better.

3 Likes

I have discussed doing exactly this with friends when I (or any of us ) die.

At best we’ll probably settle for dumping a coffee can of ashes on a mountaintop somewhere.

1 Like

When the most modestly-priced receptacle just isn’t modest enough.

7 Likes

she makes it sound like this pathetic, drunken fiasco, but really, it’s SUPER rock & roll. gram’s death and the stealing of his body is legendary.

3 Likes

Excuse me? “Pathetic drunken fiasco” = SUPER rock & roll. Not in spite of, but because of.

4 Likes

Saw the movie. Early work by Michael Shannon. Good weird stuff.

1 Like

good point. all true.

3 Likes

This is a great video-- the Modern Lovers connection is something I never knew.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.