8 Likes

8 Likes

“My beautiful what?”

8 Likes

Launderette?

6 Likes

… I was always confused by that last line

but the key seems to be seeing the word “survive” as a transitive verb

Can someone explain this line in Shelley’s Ozymandias?

2 Likes

I wonder if the bird is also clever enough to use apostrophes.

6 Likes

Look on my feelers, termites, and despair
I am the biggest ant you’ll ever see
The ants of old weren’t half as bold and big
And fierce as me’.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’m really intrigued by your use of “that’s”. I can see that it is used as a possessive analogous to “whose”. I never thought about that, but it is a bit weird that English doesn’t have a possessive for “that” and “which” but does have one for “who” while strictly enforcing the exclusive use of one of the three for different subjects.

Is that a regionalism, a new development in standard English or a neologism on your part? For what it’s worth, I would have felt forced to write the much more involved “a speculation currency the only real use of which is buying heroin” but Merriam Webster says you can use “whose” in this case as well.

7 Likes

I’d use “whose” in that situation, “that’s” while comprehensible feels off to me. Your example is also correct but feels too formal for every day spoken use.

4 Likes

Its not my fault. I’m overworked and under caffeinated. (I complain loudly from the back row of grammer school detention)

4 Likes

For the record, I was just intrigued; not trying to correct you

3 Likes

No idea if this is the right thread, but I really wanted to put an s at the end of the word “brief”.

6 Likes

20 Likes

The best part is that there is no apostrophe in the name…

18 Likes

That reminds me of a former co-worker who used to write Thank’s, Mike at the end of every email. It was odd because he didn’t use an apostrophe pre-2019. :thinking:

Yes! :rofl:

11 Likes

What Manual of Style instructs writers to use sentence case for acronyms? The BBC (and Rob B. in the first word of this article “Nasa astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams…” though I haven’t noted historic acronym inconsistencies in his case) has a habit of odd acronym capitalization.

Just look at this BBC article, and you see the following acronyms:

BBC (they always get this one correct)
UK (woo-hoo, another one correct)
Nasa (why?)
Esa (space agencies get the shaft I think)
ISS (huzzah)
LSP (good on them)
Desert Rats (NASA lists it as Desert RATS because of the acronym)
SSTL (their UK-based, so it’s of course correct)
GNSS (nailed it)
SpacePNT (matches the company’s website)

I’m all for dropping the period for a separator (USA rather than U.S.A.), and I will use scuba rather than SCUBA, but at least on BBC.com I see some rather strange choices at times when compared to any other news site.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go yell at some clouds.

9 Likes

Not a fan of defense systems?
Cloud Logic to Optimize Use of Defense Systems

9 Likes

Exactly, if you can’t capitalize those acronyms, then spell them out in their entirety! :+1:

2 Likes

Taking a stab based only on the list you provided, my guess is that it’s based on how the acronym is spoken. If it’s sounded out as a word, it gets sentence case, e.g., Nasa. If the letters are spoken, it gets capitalized as ISS is.

9 Likes