Grand Rapids cop who shot Patrick Lyola in back of head charged with murder

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

Yes, a 2017 case, a woman in her pajamas, who was not being arrested, was simply shot by a cop. He didn’t have his camera on, and there was no video. His partner witnessed it, which I’m guessing helped the prosecution. No one could explain why he pulled a gun and shot her. There was no arrest being made, she wasn’t attacking or even moving, was not suspected of any crime, wasn’t armed, and there was just no reason for use of force or having a gun out. The cop who did it never explained his actions.

The cop was initially charged with 2nd and 3rd degree murder. He ended up convicted of 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter and got a 10 year sentence. He’ll be out soon.

Edit: on appeal, the murder conviction was tossed out (they couldn’t prove he had a depraved mind, because no one could understand at all why he did it) and his sentence was reduced to 57 months, meaning he’ll serve a couple years probably. Link fixed.

6 Likes

The link in your post doesn’t appear to be working, at least for me. ETA: either fixed now, or I was doing something wrong. Thanks!

3 Likes

Bizarre and sickening behaviour from the cop. I’m sure that the Police Union was happy to see him go down, as it allowed the cops to look like they are holding their own accountable; with the added bonus for them, that the killer wasn’t white.

5 Likes

Yeah, I got the impression he had just no support from his fellow police, because his actions were so awful and inexplicable, except the Somali community there did have some protests demanding he get a lesser sentence. His fellow police probably resenting having to work with a guy like that.

From the Wiki article, it says he had previously pointed a gun at the head of a driver during a routine traffic stop, again, very inexplicable and should have gotten him fired. He just liked scaring people with his gun, perhaps. The Somali community does rally around their own and I get the impression the city leadership really wanted the Somali community to be represented in the police force so it would have been difficult to fire this guy. I get it, but too bad it had to be this guy.

3 Likes

I remember that incident. I was on a work trip with a coworker who I hadn’t yet realized was a right winger. The night before this had happened he was talking about something that led me to bring up the danger of “driving while Black” in the US, and he got really upset and argued.
The next morning he was disgustingly excited to tell me about this incident, bc it proved his point that police harassment and shootings aren’t about race…:pleading_face:

5 Likes

That particular incident stands out pretty shockingly. Almost all the other incidents of police killing someone, it was in the process of making a lawful arrest, the person was resisting, and often the person was attempting to get the cop’s weapon, so while it may be wrong and a crime, it’s not totally inexplicable and also, resisting arrest and trying to disarm a cop is an inherently risky game to play.

But all these incidents are just… incidents and don’t really say anything about what the patterns are. Fortunately for us, the Washington Post has put together a very comprehensive, searchable database of all recent police killings so we can at least get a clear picture and ask questions about what the statistics of it are. I think they even allow download of their data. You can answer your right-wing friend with that database to show what’s going on.

confused kristen wiig GIF

I never said they were my friend…

8 Likes

If he isn’t, a victory tour involving FOX interviews is a certainty.

4 Likes

Oh Hell No Reaction GIF

Don’t know where you are getting this, but “incidents” are because of excessive use of force by cops not following procedure, proper training, or the law. Check out this thread for examples of incidents involving unarmed people being shot and/or killed in their cars during traffic stops, shopping in stores, holding phones, turning their backs on officers, lying on the ground in front of officers, etc…

10 Likes

episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

You can grab someone’s gun when you’re running away or handcuffed with your hands behind your back.

Given how much more OFTEN Black motorists are shot compared to white motorists, no. It’s not.

10 Likes

10 Likes

Almost every time the cops kill somebody, they say they had a good reason … what a surprise :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Dude, you watch too much Law and Order.

Cops murder people daily.

9 Likes

For the last time, nowhere in a police officer’s job description does it state “your position requires you to summarily execute people”.

Also for the last time, summary execution is not a legal punishment for any crime anywhere in the US. Especially in Michigan and other states that have abolished the death sentence.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.