Grand Rapids cop who shot Patrick Lyola in back of head charged with murder

Originally published at: Grand Rapids cop who shot Patrick Lyola in back of head charged with murder | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Glad he got charged, now let’s see if he gets convicted…

37 Likes

Good. May Lyola’s family see justice.

24 Likes

ACAB, but some are also gigantic piles of excrement.

An aside @beschizza you’ve somehow managed to have that unfortunate soul’s name in three ways in the article: Loyla, Lyola and Lyoya.

13 Likes

Its just so infuriating seeing how quick and eager these police officers are about pulling their guns. I watched a video recently where some guys were trying (poorly) to steal a jetski, couldn’t turn it on and were drifting in the water and the responding cops spent a good deal of time pointing guns right at the two guys who were in no way posing a threat to anyone.

All i can hope for is that this man’s family gets justice, really sorry for their loss.

18 Likes

I wonder, have there been any murder charges brought against a cop where there wasn’t video footage?

4 Likes

Born and raised in the GR MI burbs. These are (sadly) my people. I left in '92 and while I enjoy a visit now and then, I don’t miss it.

Even money or better says the dude’s gonna walk. My parents are “progressive” for the area, usually voting D, but they’re still not sure about those (people) that keep moving in. If he gets a jury of his peers, it’s easy street…

Using the language of the oppressor ‘sarcastically’ is still using the language of the oppressor.

23 Likes

Thank god there was a good guy with a camera there to take the footage.

3 Likes

WTF, dude? Racial slurs have no place here.

16 Likes

Speaking in their voice there.
Can edit…

1 Like

That doesn’t make it any better; still offensive, still against the ToS.

13 Likes

Those assholes are loud enough already and don’t need your help.

10 Likes

Good. That was one of the most egregious execution by cop ever filmed.

3 Likes

US police: America’s largest national gang, legalized and unionized.

10 Likes

“Congratulations, son, you’ve been made. Now, go and kiss the captain’s ring.”

4 Likes

That’s the only one I can think of.

7 Likes

Anyone know of a case where the shooter was tested for drugs? Is capping someone considered mundane behavior (for a cop), not raising a reasonable articulable suspicion of drug use? And how does a corpse consent to an invasive search?

1 Like

Same here. Call me a skeptic, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the only case we can find is from a female police officer, as opposed to all the male police officers that have pulled the same shit. It’s similar with straight out police shootings, looking at genders of officers involved.
One might think it’s a good old boys club.

3 Likes

And imprisoned for at least 20 years.
Probation ain’t gonna cut it.

4 Likes