Six cops shoot and kill rapper Willie Bo who was sleeping in a car

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/13/six-cops-shoot-and-kill-rapper.html

4 Likes

22 Likes

Six cops shooting into the car at once isn’t reacting out of self-defense, that’s the fucking finale to Bonnie & Clyde.

46 Likes

Not surprised on the outcome but god fucking damn it. Stop.

22 Likes

20 Likes

I have two questions (assuming all the reported things are true)…

1. Why the hell did he leave his gun visibly on his lap? That just seems like an ill advised thing regardless of any situation.

2. Can we start giving cops just a single bullet weapon from now on? Seriously…just one bullet…that’s all you get. So if you decide you are going to pull your weapon on a citizen and pull that trigger you better be damn fucking sure it is absolutely a life threatening situation…because you only get to play that card once!

I’m with everyone else above.

9 Likes

Group psychology is fucking dumb.

Probably the least of the influences on this tragic execution…

But God damn.

Do we have a system to quickly and independently break down the statistics on a police departments’ activities when this happens yet? It would be nice to be able to skip/focus on the discussion of training, community building, and evidence based best practices when this happens.

Might genuinely help the thesis that the black lives matter movement is pro police, and the blue lives matter movement is anti-police, too.

5 Likes

I hope they properly yelled this first so they can get away free.

1DS8ARn

2 Likes

I’d like to see some body cam proof that he actually did have a gun in his lap, and that the gun didn’t arrive at the scene strapped to a cop’s leg.

Right now we have a group of LEOs who shot a sleeping black man to death in his car, then realized that it might be a problem. We need other witnesses or video evidence.

31 Likes

Just wondering why you chose an image that honors a member of the very police force that killed this young man…?

4 Likes

We don’t know he had a gun in his lap. We just know the police said he had a gun in his lap.

12 Likes

Ya know. It’s almost as if I didn’t actually put “if the reported info is true” or something. Thanks for pointing out an obvious and known point. Thanks for ADDING to the conversation.

2 Likes

What’s up with the

in this thread?

On topic: police in the US are out of control, particularly in communities where POC live. I often wonder why police seem to believe the Second Amendment only applies to white people.

23 Likes

An attempt to work towards a peaceful solution:

“We thought for sure the sound of the first gun shot would wake him up and notify him of our presence.”

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 16 hours.

That’s some mighty fine testilying by the cops.

1 Like

So, a man in lock car that sleeping with a gun on his lap surrounded by at least six cops reaches for his gun while sitting in a lock car, mind you sitting in a lock car, put those cops lives in Imminent Danger and in some people and we know who we’re talking about will call this a justify shooting unless it happens to someone who looks like them

2 Likes

Seems like the cops were pretty fucking stupid and looking for an excuse to shoot a guy in my opinion.

2 Likes

given the normality of armed response in the USA, i can understand that. When agression is the only important thing pre-emptive aggression may work.

Whilst i understand the sentiment, it’s wrong. Trigger-happy police just escalates 95%+ of encounters.

you should be minimising it. put security seals on cops guns, if you draw a gun: instant disciplinary untill you can justify it, fire on a person: instant revocation of all lethal weapons priveledges until you can justify it.

Drawing a weapon should be the ultimate last-choice option chosen when every other avenue has been tried, never ever the first choice…

4 Likes