Watch: Police very politely arrest Illinois mass shooter: "do me a favor, get down on your knees"

Originally published at: Watch: Police very politely arrest Illinois mass shooter: "do me a favor, get down on your knees" | Boing Boing

16 Likes

If he had said, “Aw, c’mon, at least let me get a few more shots off,” the cop probably would have been cool with it.

20 Likes

29 Likes

Hey kids, ‘ya know that last line in the Pledge of Allegiance? Yeah well, it’s bullshit.

21 Likes

it seems consistent. we respond to mass murderer and gun violence with: don’t worry, we’re not going to take your guns away just please don’t let it happen again or we’ll be forced to ask even nicer next time. let’s blame culture or training - anything but the guns.

19 Likes

“You have the right to remain white. If you give up the right to remain white, you will remain white anyway. You have the right to a hamburger. If you do not have a hamburger, one will be purchased for you.”

25 Likes

Quite possibly, but for many of these incidents it seems consistent that cops shoot the moment they see a hint of a gun coming out. And I honestly know little enough about policing that I’m not comfortable ignoring their perspective.

My personal belief is that there is a big issue with race and policing, but it typically shows up well before the shots get fired. For instance, would a white driver be pulled over for the same traffic violation? Would as many police cars have ended up in pursuit? Did previous interactions with the cops cause him to react the way he did?

There’s a lot of ways situations gets escalated that happen to black people much more often, and it’s the escalation rather than the decision to shoot itself that is the root cause of the shooting. But the shooting is a much simpler incident to talk about so that’s where all the focus is.

Either way, as a wiser person than myself said I’m signing off now.

5 Likes

I don’t know anything about this, so therefore I’ll take the cops’ word for it, but no one else’s, and also insist everyone else do so as well :thinking:

33 Likes

It should go without saying, but of course THEY CAN SAY THIS ABOUT ANYONE AT ANY TIME

If we have arms, what are their resting positions?

If they’re currently some distance from our waists, HOW LONG COULD WE HOLD THEM THERE before they returned to some other location?

Anyone who is alive is likely waving their hands around without even thinking about it, and fully half of those motions are “toward our waistbands”

37 Likes

Yeah, all day long the local reporting was that he was on the loose and “considered armed and dangerous”. So, please explain why that vehicle, ID’d to said “person of interest”, wasn’t turned into swiss cheese on sight?

14 Likes

Like Rittenhouse?

25 Likes

The problem is not that the white mass murderer got arrested alive, the problem is that so many black people get gunned down without any hesitation or consequences.

49 Likes

truly it’s pervasive. from who they stop, to who they arrest ( and/or shoot ), to what people are charged with, and on. there’s no dividing line where it begins and ends

it’s their perspective that’s the problem. and ours, for asking them to do that job. and then for not prosecuting them when they so clearly do wrong

after killing him, they handcuffed him. that’s not a perspective we should support

fair enough. these are trying times.

9 Likes

Sheesh, can’t one be vulnerable here without getting slandered?

@aluchko made a nuanced and reasonable attempt to analyze root cause, and everyone instead likes the response where words were put in his mouth.

He didn’t take the cops word.
He didn’t dismiss everyone else.
He didn’t insist anything.

And there sure is a lot of enthusiasm for police misconduct here.

16 Likes

WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE COPS

23 Likes

it is really an odd phrase. for all the reasons you mention. and because: do i have a waistband? i have a belt, i have pants, i have a waist. do i have a waistband?

maybe it’s my own baggage but it always sounds like they’re saying something about baggy pants, and racist tropes from the 80s

14 Likes

This is the reason some guys won’t surrender to the police without stripping naked first

10 Likes

Yes that is a good example of putting words in people’s mouths.

4 Likes

Or a wallet or mobile phone or … wait for it … nothing at all. If your complexion is not pale enough.

13 Likes

Funny how cops always seem a little star-struck when they arrest these young white male mass shooters. Gun recognize gun, or something.

17 Likes