Video shows naked murder suspect chasing police officer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/28/video-shows-naked-murder-suspe.html

6 Likes

I wonder what it was about a “very dangerous” rampaging triple-murder suspect that led a police officer to publicly humiliate himself on camera rather than use his weapon to stop him.

“Big dick energy”

or the fact that he’s white :shushing_face:

41 Likes

The suspect is white! I never would have guessed!

jessica-jones-kilgrave-surprise

Also, he’s JOGGING after the cop in the gif… jogging. JUST TACKLE THE GUY! HE HAS NO GUN!!!

40 Likes

Note to self: if ever committing murder, strip immediately and run away.

21 Likes

No, run, no, JOG TOWARDS the cop! TOWARDS!

Also, be white.

60 Likes

The cops were blinded by the light coming off his “white bits.”

But then the cop would have had to face a career’s worth of homophobic bullying from his coworkers for that time he was caught on camera rolling around on the ground with a naked dude… (I wish I was kidding, but the more I think about it, the more I’m sure it would have happened and he knew it too, even if unconsciously.) Looking like (and being) an ineffectual idiot was the safer choice.

30 Likes

What the actual fuck.

I won’t even state the obvious here…

SMH

34 Likes

Insert COPS theme music anywhere here.

Or Benny Hill

21 Likes

This is an example of a police officer using of minimal force. This ended correctly. Now if only this happened most of the time for everyone.

55 Likes

Whatever the whiteness and/or “no homo” etc that we can speculate influenced that cop’s motivations, nevertheless that is the kind of policing (ie not blowing a troublesome person away with your huge gun) we need to encourage, and all possible props should be given to that cop, pour encourager les autres as it were.

(I mean, yeah, it oughta be common sense and obvious basic police/human conduct and so on, but when you are trying to turn around a totally toxic culture, you’ve gotta start with whatever small wins you can find.)

37 Likes

I dunno, what is it that made the officers make every effort to avoid blowing him to smithereens, hmmm can’t put my finger on it. That he was naked? Maybe that is it.

I’ll take some progress forward rather than sliding backward at an ever-increasing rate.

2 Likes

I wonder what it was about this “very dangerous” rampaging triple-murder suspect that led a police officer to humiliate himself on camera rather than use his weapon to stop him.

Umm, maybe he was attempting to not resort right away to lethal force, as every writer for this site exhorts them to?

19 Likes

Post withdrawn. Misread the comment.

2 Likes

This, children, is why you give the pepper spray to the female officers. They don’t wince at the very thought of that stuff on some dude’s junk.

14 Likes

Yes. I think the point here is that the police made a very deliberate choice to avoid using deadly force for this white suspect (as they should!) even though there are many, many examples suggesting a black suspect would have been killed almost immediately under otherwise identical circumstances.

30 Likes

This is so strange… I agree that it’s good the suspect wasn’t killed, but the ineptitude of the cop led to at least one bystander being assaulted and choked… The cop was clearly unprepared to physically confront an attacker, but had been given an assault-style rile. That’s not a good situation. It’s true we need police who won’t shoot suspects on sight, but they should also be actually capable of physically detaining suspects if only for others’ safety.

21 Likes

Yes! He didn’t humiliate himself, he successfully apprehended the suspect without casualties.

If only every suspect of every ethnicity got this kind of consideration.

I mean, he probably could have overpowered the guy if he’d chosen to - suspect looked fairly skinny. On the other hand, the suspect would have had much more freedom of movement, while the cop was encumbered by armour and a rifle. But that’s quibbling.

6 Likes

Fine; I will say it:

Had that been a Black man running around naked like that and actively chasing an LEO, he’d have most likely been shot… regardless as to whether he was suspected of any crime at all.

Yes, I know that you already know;

I’m just really REALLY tired of this shit.

34 Likes

Going mano a mano when you’re carrying a high-velocity high rate-of-fire weapon is not the brightest move. You won’t disarm him, but he could seriously up his potential for harm by disarming you.

16 Likes

white privilege means not being shot like a dog in the street. Even if you’re wanted for homicide and charging the cops.

14 Likes