Video shows naked murder suspect chasing police officer

I suspect part of why the officer chose not to tackle or otherwise physically apprehend the guy was (ironically) because of the chance that the guy might then be able to grab the gun strapped/slung over his arm.

(Also, probably not easy to tackle someone with that gun in the way.)

6 Likes

This cop is embarrassing himself. Hasn’t he been trained in hand to hand combat? Forget the gun, just stand your ground and punch him in the face! You have mace, a taser, maybe a nightstick?

I hope they highlight this cop at the Xmas party blooper reel.

3 Likes

Absolutely. And you don’t know what this guy could be on, and what that could make him capable of.

2 Likes

We don’t actually know that. And assuming that this particular cop would have treated a black guy differently is BS.

2 Likes

I think many of us can agree the best outcome is when a suspect is apprehended without any savage beatings or life-threatening injuries at all, even if it makes the cop look less macho on TV.

Obviously the likelihood of this outcome varies widely depending on the skin tone of the suspect.

17 Likes

obviously this cop is not a gamer, everyone knows when someone has a powerful melee weapon you put some distance between your, then spray and pray and if they’re not dead yell “knifefight” into the mic and charge

The suspect is merely practicing his right to bare arms – and bare everything, I guess.

11 Likes

I think the cop having the assault rifle actually makes it very difficult to engage the perp in any non-rifle way. He’s got to hold the rifle with at least one hand, and can’t really risk tackling the guy, for fear of the naked dude grabbing the rifle or one of his other weapons. I think that type of thing is overlooked a lot – if an officer has any weapons at all, any encounter automatically escalates if someone gets close to the cop, because the weapons could be taken away.

Also, I’m glad the officer didn’t use the rifle.

16 Likes

So the options of facing a guy charging you who is suspected of mass murder and possibly psychotic are A) shoot a naked man point-blank, which definitely wouldn’t go over well in the press B) go mano-a-mano with him, while carrying several lethal weapons which would be readily in reach, even if the officer dropped them before a fistfight (which I’m sure is also inadvisable from a strategic standpoint), or stall, using non-lethal means which ultimately allowed the guy to be taken alive and unharmed.

Calling this decision “embarrassing himself” is not just ridiculous, it’s idiotic. This guy successfully did his job in a far better way than you would have, apparently. You owe him an apology.

13 Likes

In hand to hand…there’s a non zero chance the suspect will go for the officers gun and turn it against the officer or bystanders.

Also…people on meth have crazy superpower strength.

3 Likes

There is no “we” here.

I am me. You are you.

And I’m willing to bet a week’s pay that your life experiences greatly differ from my own.

Based upon MY personal lived experience and countless cases in the US’s history where Black people have been killed because we dared even look at someone the wrong way, I suspect I have a vastly different perspective than you do regarding the reality that I actually inhabit… so I reiterate, most emphatically:

A BLACK MAN (OR ANYONE NOT WHITE AND MALE) WOULD HAVE LIKELY GOTTEN SHOT FOR THE EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR.

Now you do have a good day, but I have nothing further to say to you regarding this topic.

Cheers.

41 Likes

13 Likes

I guess we can add police homophobia to the career criminal tool kit, in addition to white privilege.

I didn’t get any audio on that clip, but assuming both the suspect and the cop were giggling as they trotted around in circles?

That scene would have easily passed for an ancient Greek comedy if the guy had run around sporting a gigantic fake phallus.

5 Likes

We know exactly what DID happen to a bunch of black men in similar circumstances even though those black men were not suspected of any crime.

So you could technically claim we don’t know what would happen in the sense that “nothing is truly knowable” but basically yeah, we know.

40 Likes

Which is an excellent argument for disarming the bulk of the police department.

14 Likes

Can we mix the 2 up?

5 Likes

Or 5… or 6… or 1000?

25 Likes

They shot Anthony Hill, who was also naked and acting erratic, although unlike this man, whose wang the police officer was running AWAY from, Anthony Hill did not attack ANYONE:

So, yes, we have plenty enough data points about how systemically, the police treat black vs. white suspects to make some generalizations.

31 Likes

YOU DON’T KNOW THAT!! How do you know what he might have hidden in his, umm, never mind. Yuck.

6 Likes