Cop starts yelling "Gun!" during a car stop, until he realizes he's being filmed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/25/cop-starts-yelling-gun-gun.html

10 Likes

Yep. If a cop looks nervous at all, prepare to be shot at.

34 Likes

ACAB.      

24 Likes

Shouting “gun” when there is none should be a criminal offense. Seriously. It’s like shouting fire in a theater or worse. Incitement to violence and menacing are two possible charges, as well as the tried-but-true civil rights violations.

90 Likes

Way to remove your vision off the “threat” MULTIPLE TIMES, rookie. What a yokel.

21 Likes

This is the law enforcement equivalent of “he’s coming right for us!”

37 Likes

This is not an isolated incident.

This is not “one bad apple”.

This did not begin with Trump.

This is not new.

69 Likes

At the very minimum that cop should lose his job and not be allowed access to fire arms (or to work in law enforcement). He shouldn’t get another shot at that situation.

37 Likes

Turns out, the guy did have a gun in the car but claims it wasn’t within reach. I wonder if the cops bodycam filmed the location of the gun?

4 Likes

Sure would have been a physically awkward gunfight.

Helena-West Helena Police Chief James Smith, who did not return multiple requests for comment from The Washington Post, told WREG that officers found a rifle inside the vehicle. Truitt appears to say in the video the weapon is registered in his name. Under Arkansas law, rifles do not require registration.

Body camera footage published by the network Wednesday shows police holding a rifle after placing Truitt in handcuffs. Truitt has indicated the gun was not easily accessible from where he sat in the vehicle.

31 Likes

This gave me the same feeling that the videos of people narrowly dodging a boulder or being pulled out of the path of an oncoming vehicle do. Cops like this are all-too-common natural hazards for African-American men, and this gentleman narrowly escaped death as much as the kid in this previously posted video did:

27 Likes

GUN! At this point a piece of licorice looks like a gun to every po po out there, it’s ridiculous.

te13nor

21 Likes

Its only all of the apples.

9 Likes

If the cops are holding that up as an excuse for their behavior then they are the ones reaching for something.

8 Likes

While not condoning this cops actions in the least, but this is incorrect:

And if the cop is poking his gun at you sideways like a cartoon gangster?

When pulled in close to you, your arm will naturally rotate that way. One can pantomime it at your desk and see which feels more natural to you.

I watched the whole thing and I agree that once again there are confusing, contradictory instructions. Per the story linked above, I guess he had a rifle in the car, but it wasn’t easily accessible. It seems to me a clear case of overzealous rights violation.

5 Likes

Cops, like the US President, are above the law.

3 Likes

“Failure to comply with a lawful order” could be just about anything. From what the guy said it seems like he was trying leave (as he was told) but couldn’t get around another car, at which point the cops pulled their “failure to comply with a lawful order” shtick. Plus, as he points out, they tell him not to move while also telling him to shut off his car, and he immediately calls BS on that.

I guess his crime was not having it on a gun rack with a Confederate flag sticker nearby, if you know what I mean.

38 Likes

I admire the driver for staying so calm in this situation. I don’t know if I could manage that when being threatened by an armed thug who was looking for a reason to get violent.

22 Likes

Sadly, probably happens often enough that people are inured to it.

This is a pretty common charge that police abuse to arrest just about anyone. Basically anything a cop tells you to do is a lawful order (in their minds) and therefore not doing it is a crime. It’s like resisting arrest; without anything else to charge someone with, it’s a bullshit case that results only in someone being held in jail for a maximum of 24 hours. But that’s all the police are looking for sometimes, just to punish someone.

17 Likes

Sure, but the point is you shouldn’t be holding a gun that way in the first place. If he were to discharge at that angle the pistol would fly into his face (which, now that I think about it, wouldn’t be the worst case scenario here). No one who has had proper training would hold the weapon that way, especially a pistol.

My 13yo daughter loves to cook. She is developing her knife skills and one of the main things I stress to her is to never move your hand to accommodate what you’re cutting, always move what you’re cutting to accommodate your hand. Same principle here.

Edit to add this link on proper technique (the least ammosexual site I could find):

25 Likes