Grandpa's hilarious reactions to Americanized Chinese foods go viral in new web series

Originally published at: Grandpa's hilarious reactions to Americanized Chinese foods go viral in new web series | Boing Boing

5 Likes

To be fair, you could put that TJs orange chicken sauce on clumps of dirt and it would taste good. Mmmmmm, dirt.

7 Likes

Seems right up my alley, i’ll have to check this out after work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i don’t want to watch the whole video, but i admit i’m curious whether he finds Blanda Express as awful as i do.

3 Likes

OK, it’s true the TJ Korean scallion pancakes are decent, but their knowledge of Chinese scallion pancakes seems to be limited. They don’t seem to realize there are significant regional differences, so if the scallion pancakes they’re used to don’t have enough scallions: 1) put more in, duh, and 2) try a recipe from a different part of China.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Our family will never turn down any type of scallion pancake!

5 Likes

The food I don’t know about, I know I want to be like that grandpa though. He’s completely got it together, no wonder his grandson loves him so much. And I kind of think grandson is following right behind grandpas tracks.

6 Likes

Boom!

4 Likes

My spouse makes some tasty and spicy General Tso chicken. It’s yum. Not Chinese food though. Maybe Chinese inspired?

3 Likes

Here’s the thing-the idea of authenticity in food is kind of bogus. Food made by immigrant populations tends to be stuck at what the food “at home” was like when they left. The new country then adapts that adaptation even further. So the food in a Chinese restaurant in the states will have one
rendition of a dish, and a restaurant in China will have a different one. If the restaurant in the states is staffed only by recent immigrants and the one in China is run by Americans, which is more authentic?
And no culture owns its food. People should feel free to take foods they like from anywhere and do anything to them.

4 Likes

Food evolves just as much as language does, even in China there’s a lot of variance on what Chinese food is. That said, someone from the source of that culture looking at how the US is interpreting Chinese food is a valid point of view and i find it to be an interesting premise.

As a Venezuelan and having food from Venezuelan food trucks here in my area in Austin i find the dishes to be a weak interpretation of the traditional cuisine (despite the fact that it’s being made by Venezuelans). I’m perfectly happy to see people enjoy it though, but only if they knew how good the homemade stuff was…

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.