Grant Morrison: Evil Superman is "ridiculous"

Hasn’t this been done already with Invincible on Amazon Prime?

1 Like

Indeed. Homelander is a great example of what Superman could be - a sociopath who for some time was aligned with the public good, but maybe decided to take another path.

“I think the idea that Superman would react to the death of Lois Lane by becoming a tyrant is ridiculous; my mum and dad died and I didn’t become a tyrant. If I can handle it, Superman can handle it.”

Another is increasing narcissism, which leads to increasing authoritarian behavior. An interesting story would be to see how Superman was above the praise heaped on him, but slowly it seeped in and he began to believe he knew what was best for humanity and would steamroll (first figuratively, then literally) anyone who went against him.

3 Likes
1 Like

This is fine in principle, but expecting everyone to use a particular pronoun when it’s likely that hardly anyone knows the preferred pronouns is going a bit far. I’m very familiar with Grant’s work, but as far as being non-binary is concerned, it’s not something I knew about, so couldn’t possibly use a particular pronoun.
I do sometimes wonder if it isn’t a case of third parties being more bothered on behalf of the individual concerned.
Personally, I don’t give a shit what I’m called, just don’t call me late for lunch…

1 Like

The post was not accusatory, but merely a request to edit.

5 Likes

I enjoy the evil Superman stories, moreso when they don’t shoehorn in a redemption (like Red Son). Homelander, Plutonian, the current Hyperion - they’re all interesting reads. Superman, as he exists in the main media, is the icon of good. But in a different situation, like say Injustice’s Supes? I mean, we all crack under pressure, why wouldn’t he?

The ones that are not fun are the ones where he’s just comically bad, like Earth 3’s Superman. A kryptonite addict that is one-dimensionally stupid is a boring read.

1 Like

I think it’s fair to hold the writer to a slightly higher standard than the readership when it comes to research on the subject they write about semi-frequently.

I think you’re being too charitable; paternalism would be the least of our problems. At some point, he’s going to ask: “Why am I doing all this work? What’s in it for me?” He’ll figure out that we should be working for and/or worshipping him, not the other way around.

Although, its unclear just what humans can ‘do’ for a superbeing like Superman. Perhaps simple fealty and reverence? There’s no doubt people would worship Superman if he called himself divine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.