James Gunn is officially directing Superman: Legacy

Originally published at: James Gunn is officially directing Superman: Legacy | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Point of order: some of those animals actually belong to Supergirl.

12 Likes

he’s essentially ageless compared to human beings

7 Likes

Somehow, given it was his idea to move the character in this direction (and his obvious interest in Superman motifs, e.g. Brightburn), I always assumed he would be directing.

Yeah, such as Comet, who isn’t even her horse - or a horse at all - but a cursed centaur who’s in love with her. (No, really. Yeah, it’s perverse.)

Weirdly, Superman’s dog and monkey (Krypto and Beppo) are Kryptonian super-animals, but Supergirl’s are not (Streaky the Supercat is an Earth cat altered by some kind of kryptonite). Which is kind of weird, really.

4 Likes

Morally and thematically, a well-written Superman has more in common with Captain America than some folks might think. Both are fundamentally good people, pretty much have to be to work as heroes, or they could be horrible (see Homelander or John Walker USAgent).

6 Likes

My brain went to the same place.

6 Likes

I like this

4 Likes

This news is interesting seeing how it was rumored for quite some time that the first or at least second Superman movie in the new DCMU was going to be an adaptation of Superman And The Authority.

1 Like

As long as Superman fights a giant spider, I’m in.

1 Like

“kind of weird” is not how I would describe silver age Superman.

4 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was notable that they included…

To me that signals that they’ll take the same approach for Supes as they did for Cap in the MCU; idealistic to the point of self-sacrifice, yet honor bound to the ideals of justice for all. I can’t imagine with what we know of Gunn that this isn’t intentionally signaling something wonderful.

I hope it drives the incels insane.

4 Likes

I mean, Gunn’s Super dives deep into a character with an unerring moral code that isn’t aligned with the rest of the world. That, of course, goes the bonkers direction with it, but you can definitely see how Gunn can take an out-of-step moral code and build a sympathetic character around it. And let’s be honest, the key difference is that Superman’s moral code is something aspirational. At his best, he’s Mr. Rogers in a cape.

As an aside, that’s also why I find myself drawn more to the family drama moments in Superman & Lois on the CW, which is a weird thing to say out loud (or type). But Superman being a super Dad, or at least doing his best, is incredibly charming to watch.

3 Likes

Now I’m imagining Fred Rogers walking into a phone booth to change his shoes and don a cardigan.

6 Likes

I mean, have you ever seen them in the same place at the same time?

2 Likes

My feeling is if a version of Superman can’t pull this off, its missing the point of the character

Yes! Definitely! One of the things I love about Berlanti superhero shows is that they are all families actual or found. Everyone has a “Team ____” watching their backs. It makes for great character moments amidst the superhero drama.

5 Likes

Well, Mr. Rogers’ mother did knit his cardigans, just like Martha Kent made Superman’s costume.

5 Likes

This. Absolutely this.

Imagine if Gunn has Supergirl show up as Clark’s calvary in a battle while riding on Comet’s back.

I would cry like a fan at a BTS concert.

3 Likes

Can Bat-Ape get a cameo too?

3 Likes

Gunn is on record that Bat-Mite is his single favorite comic book character ever. And he managed to make him canon by reference in Peacemaker.

So that might happen.

5 Likes

I think one important aspect of Superman here is that some of his villains turn his strengths into weaknesses. Sure he can’t be hurt by bullets but people around him can be harmed and so much of what Superman is doing is trying to help people out of a dangerous situation than he is beating up a bad guy. He’s a flying brick but he knows he has to be more subtle and able to work outside of expectations for his abilities. Also, he’s still a reporter and good one in most iterations, so that part of him should always be there (curious, always putting his nose into things that others would like him to not see, and so forth). I think these aspects of Superman have taken a back seat in most film adaptions (Donner seemed to get the idea of the character better than most did), so I hope Gunn tries to fold back in those ideas in his outing.

4 Likes