DC Comics: new Superman, son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, is bisexual

Originally published at: DC Comics: new Superman, son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, is bisexual | Boing Boing

8 Likes

There will be criticism that this is an empty and opportunistic gesture from a corporation, but representation really does matter for young people. As a bonus, this is going to drive right-wingers bonkers with incoherent rage.

47 Likes

I guess we know the main topic on Fox News this week.

16 Likes

In other news, IRL, if you count sports as real life, an NFL coach resigned for being homophobic and misogynistic in email. Based on high school, I sort of assumed that sort of asshattery would be tolerated in that environment, if not encouraged, but maybe we’re at a watershed moment.

8 Likes

I’ll confess to not reading Superman comics for many years, so forgive me asking:

How did they get around the problems addressed in Niven’s famous essay, “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex?”

14 Likes

Supes stood waaaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

Speaking as one of the community, all of us are superheroes, so yeah: the representation is nice.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Cheap dollar store kryptonite prophylactics?

4 Likes

I just want to normalize wearing brightly colored tights, capes, and cowls as business professional… though some corporate logos on the chest or cape may be a bit much.

(COVID’s already normalizing the masks…)

6 Likes

Literally everything about Superman violates the laws of physics.

30 Likes

Just like that, I’m a Super Man fan again.

5 Likes

I guess no one remembers “Man of Steel; Woman of Kleenex”

Google it and don’t drink anything while you read it… Unless you like stuff coming out of your nose.

1 Like

I loved the introduction of Jonathan Kent especially when he met Damien Wayne (*tch* boi). He’s a good boi. ^-^

3 Likes

So this son wasn’t apparently conceived when Lois was black? (“dude… that was sooo 1970s”)

3 Likes

Not to mention the free publicity to remind people that there’s a new Superman. I mean, who knew?

3 Likes

Wait, what? Superman had a son and he’s now Superman?

When did comics become soap operas?

1 Like

June 27, 1966

8 Likes

Clever. Definitely can’t say you’re wrong.

2 Likes

Ditto most of the superheroes. My kids have been watching The Flash and noted how pushing people out of the way of danger at super fast speeds would cause much more harm than good. Quicksilver did the same in Age of Ultron. That first episode of The Boys was the only show to get the physics of that type of interaction right when A-Train wasn’t looking out where he was running.

If Superman can fly up and catch Louis when she’s falling off of a building without breaking every bone in her body then they can figure out a way to get busy without lethal consequences.

9 Likes

I had some confusion yesterday when I saw some of the pics. It looked more like Superboy vs Superman, and now it is clear, it is Superman’s son, taking over the mantle - er - cape. I am way out of touch with current comic canon .

So, sure. Could be an interesting story line. I am sure some of the older fans will scoff - but I suspect most of them are lost in nostalgia collecting the old books, not the new ones.

1 Like

I can’t find the cartoon right now, but I remember a long time ago seeing a cartoon with a guy in bed and the Superman costume hanging up on a rack, and a woman silhouette busting through the ceiling and the caption being something like, “Whoops!”