Supergirl, first look

[Permalink]

meh. not feeling it. i realize everyone wants to do something different and what they think is better but Supergirl is blonde and the colors of the suit seem really dark.

1 Like

Super-Gothchick; except a real Super-Gothchick would probably look a lot less meh.

1 Like

Personally, I like the deeper tones of the costume’s colour. However, it looks like she may be wearing heels instead of appropriate footwear. It’s 2015, haven’t we gotten past having female heroes still being stuck in heels? Also, a miniskirt?

4 Likes

Thank you! I was thinking the exact same thing. Here we go with another sexist costume where they dress her up like a hooker with a cape. What would be so difficult about putting her in a pair of flats with a red and blue pantsuit instead?

5 Likes

Your hookers must be much higher-class than mine.

5 Likes

What’s with superhero costumes being made with the nubby textured fabric these days? It’s like they want to create moire patterns in the promo photos.

3 Likes

Miniskirt discussion is meh. That’s only appearance.
(I’d suggest A/B tests to find out if it matters, sales-wise, as that’s the major performance metrics for superheroes these days. But that’s about it.)

Something more serious. No pockets. How can the superheroes go in their day by day heroing without having pockets to keep stuff in?

And not even ALICE clips nor the more modern ones nor anything else that would allow attaching gear to be on hand. Not even a stupid velcro patch.

Must be quite a superpower set to be able to always go without a tactical transceiver (or at least a cellphone) and other amenities. At times, one has to coordinate with other, non-superpowered individuals, even if only for the plot reasons.

4 Likes

And why is Supergirl a “girl” and Superman a “man”?
Can we imagine Superwoman as an equal counterpart to Superboy?

2 Likes

Given the speed at which Superman can fly I think it’s a safe bet to say Supergirl could out run your Nextel…

I wonder if I should speculate about the effect of supersonic airflow on the integrity of her costume…

…I think she would prefer the Nextel. With the flying capability, she could even find some place with decent signal…

From the way I understand it (and I’m no comic genius) is that Supergirl is Superman’s younger cousin. Which in most movies and such would put her in her teens to early 20’s. The same also applies to Superman, as much of the early Superboy stuff is just Superman as a child/adolescent. I wouldn’t say Supergirl and Superboy are equal in age, but in a way I think the term “girl” does more than signifies age, it sort of shows skill/experience. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t move Supergirl to Superwoman, but at the same time Superman would need to age as well.

1 Like

You know what I miss in live action comic costumes?

Color.

I was thinking about this the other day, pretty much everything that I was into when I was little: art, comics, stamps, rocks - was because of the awesome colors. (Though rock books tend to show you these fantastic colors you never find in the wild).

I loved comics for the bright colors as a kid, and I continued to like those colors when I collected them as a young adult.

I guess I understand having to make costumes more realistic than just body paint with a cape for live action, but do we have to mute the colors all the time?

1 Like

I agree wholeheartedly. I can’t wait for the end of the “gritty re-boot” era.

1 Like

Kal and Kara are aliens with different customs. I’d love to see an “Imaginary Tale” where he wore the skirt and heels.

2 Likes

new 52 has superboy as a genectic extraction from superman. he was grown in a lab. i haven’t read enough supergirl to get what’s going on yet. however, this promo shot is not what supergirl looks like at all!!!

Hopefully she’ll buy some pants once she discovers the “Flying Upskirt” Tumblrs that are created within 15 minutes of her first fly-over of Metropolis.

I think an interesting question is why there’s a Superman, a Superboy, a Supergirl but no Superwoman.

1 Like

My guess? Adding a bit of random texture to the uniform worked so well in the first Spider-Man (in terms of box office) that it instantly became the standard. Hollywood is a big believer in “if it works, don’t change it”.

1 Like

Clothing is for people who aren’t invulnerable.

4 Likes