Great Firewall of Cameron blocks game update because "XerathMageChainsExtended" contains "sex"

I was gonna say, at least some good came out of the whole mess.

1 Like

Is that a euphemism?

2 Likes

Each provider has its own firewall, its own set of rules, and its own set of cockups waiting to happen (and not even all of them – only the major ones for now). Because they’re Tories, you see, so they privatized censorship like they’re privatizing the NHS. (Oh yes, and LibDems, of course – how rude of me to forget the servants – they make such a sterling job!)

Besides, the scheme is optional. You’ve probably already been flagged as a pervert and they thought they might as well let you enjoy your filth, it saves them some paperwork, what what.

Shifting the blame onto innocent parties. It’s not a bug–it’s a feature!

2 Likes

Horrible news. How can i order my Fucking Hell from Fucking in Austria now, if i’m in GB? www.fucking-hell.de might not work at all!
(hell is german and means light beer)
I guess i also can’t stream the movie Bad Fucking (It’s about this town, Bad is german for bath, a common affix for many towns in austria, like Bad Hall, Bad Häring or Bad Zell)

In my opinion the people of this town should sue Cameron, because of breaking EU laws against unfair business practices.

I just tried to access boingboing at the National Theatre London wifi: blocked by Fortiguard! Also, Tumblr, LiveJournal, AO3.

1 Like

That always works out so well. Here in the US, it turns out the corporation responsible for most government background checks has just been waving everybody through, and collecting the fee. Over a billion, I believe, and they’re just playing League of Legends. These, by the way, are the people who should have red-flagged Snowden, so there’s one plus.

2 Likes

Those will soon turn into “fucq ups” or even “fucpm ups”. Let’s not forget how language evolves.

See, your mistake is thinking that Labour are any better. I urge you not to trust any of them.

Is that a euphemism?

Everything is if you try hard enough - if you know what I mean.

1 Like

In China, they make use of the large number of homophones in the language, then write characters that sound the same as or similar to the word they want.

Really should have headlined this article “No Sex Please, We’re British.”

But I suppose it’s already been done.

2 Likes

Thanks for the actual lol :smiley:

Came here to find a reference to “The Scunthorpe Problem”, and was not disappointed.

This Wikipedia article should be required (and entertaining!) reading for all digitally-literate folks:

1 Like

Oh, I don’t. I still remember one David “I can’t see you but I know you’re up to no good” Blunkett. Still, the amount of crap we’ve been going through in the last 4 years, well… I’m almost nostalgic of PPI and the like. I get it, they all agree that the rich must get richer and the poor are unworthy, but at least most of them didn’t try to take the p0rn away.

1 Like

I’m willing to bet this is actually considered a security feature - if you don’t tell people that you are censoring them, they are never sure if it’s just a problem with the page they’re trying to load, or if it’s actually the filter. So they are less likely to try to find workarounds if they can’t tell when they are being filtered.

The filter is optional in this case, though, right? (It sounds like there might be some filters on some British ISPs that aren’t.) What this does is make it seem more functional than it is - when the filter is misapplied users don’t know. So its fuck-ups get obscured, making the policy to have the filters on by default more acceptable.

It’s optional for the subscriber, yes, but usually the person you’re trying to keep things secure from is not the person who opted to use the filter (or declined to opt out, I suppose), but rather others in their household.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.