Great new site highlights people with non-binary gender identities

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/18/great-new-site-highlights-peop.html

7 Likes

Wow… In some ways this is really me too. Not this exact person, but the feeling. I just feel collapsed into whatever I’ve been assigned. Being seen as me is so far from what I expect from other people that I just don’t see the point of trying anymore. It’s easier just to avoid people.

9 Likes

Definitely worth a look! Also I love the symbol, especially since an asterisk is commonly used as a wildcard in searches. Hadn’t seen that one before!

6 Likes

I’ve talked about it before on BB but while I outwardly identify as a straight male, realistically I view myself as just myself. I have difficulty relating to the typical guy sometimes, and I suppose i’m really pansexual but I don’t think of myself as one, I have a preference for women with an appreciation everything else and honestly my sexual preference or gender is not a major part of my identity. To me my cultural background and my interests define me. I’m Latino/Venezuelan and proud of it, and i’m a huge nerd. When people start comparing me to the standard idea of what a straight male looks like it makes me uncomfortable.

7 Likes

I can relate to that. I would also add that when and where I grew up (I am French and over 50), the whole idea of “gender” was not as rigid as it appears to have become recently. Sure, a boy would have felt ridicule wearing makeup (for example) and male homosexuality was demonized. But girls could be almost as masculine as they wanted without much problem and boys were not all expected to enjoy violent sports, for example. Not that it was a better period, but markedly different.

3 Likes

You may want to consider looking for a more tolerant environment. They exist. Hacker spaces, for example, tend to not care too much about gender.

4 Likes

Nice observation! Yes, it’s a great logo.

I am American and over 50 (well, over 60, but who’s counting) but I went to school in the international Lycée system, so with a lot of French kids. I have a feeling that even in the US there is a wide range of attitudes about acceptance of gender fuzziness. In cities, you can be a lot of different things and be accepted.
I think in areas with less diversity (rural areas… suburbs…), “normal” takes on great importance, and part of that is strict gender dimorphism.
But with parents there is the additional factor that the body’s reason to become a parent is to propagate… it may be semi-conscious, but it’s a driving force. And if children seem not to choose a propagatory (?) path, parents can become anxious and judgy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.