Great video of a wriggling worm found in fish at a New Jersey restaurant

Fun facts and thank you. But still, I will not turn down a well prepare ceviche (and thank you also for the spelling correction even tho my spell check dislikes both; I’m too lazy right now to look it up). The campechana as made by Manuel’s here in Austin is a marvelous appetizer.

A worm is a little extra protein, right? Just chew thoroughly. :fish:

3 Likes

Well, so are cockroaches…

2 Likes

I used to own a motorcycle. My best catch was a large grasshopper.

7 Likes

Hey, they’re supposed to be good, but I’m not you or Anthony Bourdain and I’ve not tried them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got any questions about propane? Or propane accessories?

1 Like

I don’t suppose this could be another one of those cases where something that’s mostly dead somehow starts twitching again due to the presence of heat and/or sodium, is it? It does look improbably frisky.

Is that really a thing…? I wouldn’t have expected something in fish to be compatible with the mammalian gut. (The aforementioned Ciguatera is a different matter.)

4 Likes

And that’s why I don’t come even close to sashimi and the likes.

From the article…

Anyway, the worm was “almost certainly an anisakid – a parasitic roundworm that feeds on fish and marine mammals and, when ingested alive by humans, can cause disease,” reports The Washington Post, which interviewed several scientists to identify it.

“Anisakids can cause a parasitic disease called Anisakiasis – when the worms take up residence in a human’s stomach wall or intestines, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

2 Likes

Good Jr. High biology experiment to scar you for life. But I can attest that frogs legs taste like chicken. So why the hell isn’t chicken served with mint jelly? At any rate, a good test for fresh (not frozen!) frogs legs.

Also, gonna have to check to see what Reanimator vids I’ve got.

Oops. Well, I was kind of right.

Within a few hours of ingestion, the parasitic worm tries to burrow though the intestinal wall, but since it cannot penetrate it, it gets stuck and dies. The presence of the parasite triggers an immune response […].

3 Likes

Junebugs are creme filled …

2 Likes

In New J, there is never, ever an extra charge for the wriggling worm / parasite / bacteria / pathogens.

1 Like

You can serve cod cooked to temps that low just fine. You’re supposed to Use “sushi grade” fish that’s been frozen. Or fish that’s been caught in the season where they aint got worms (Feb I think for the North Atlantic). But you can. I’m personally not in to cod, or cod cooked that way in particular but its a thing.

Sashimi refers to raw fish, sliced thin, and presented on its own.

Sushi refers to a host of dishes, in a variety of formats. Using vinegar-ed rice in combination with raw or cooked fish or a variety of other ingredients. All derived from an old method for preserving fish by wrapping it in fermented rice.

The rice is no more sushi on its own than the fish. And it isn’t as if the raw fish portion is shashimi and the rice portion sushi. The rice and fish together is still sushi.

Varies by state to state. But the federal guideline is a guideline not a rule. “Sushi-grade” typically indicates that fish has been frozen in the appropriate manner to kill parasites. But plenty of seafood is perfectly safe to eat without that treatment.

From a proteins being denatured stand point. But the amount of acid involved aint doing nothing for parasites.

But again a lot of fish is perfectly safe to eat that way.

In terms of sushi its for the better. A bit like dry aging beef. Specific schedules for freezing are used to drive out moisture in particular ways and tenderize tough muscle. Especially for Tuna.

Many products. Like shrimp. Are borderline impossible to keep quality up without freezing. Crustaceans start to degrade the minute the die. So if you can’t access them alive. Which typically means being in or near a fishery. Or paying through the nose to have them shipped and stored alive. Flash freezing on the boat or immediately at the docks is the only way to ensure quality. There is nothing wrong with frozen shrimp. The quality is almost always better than never frozen dead shrimp. And much of the “fresh” shrimp available away from shrimp fisheries is just frozen shrimp that’s been thawed.

A lot of fin fish don’t freeze well. But it largely depends on how quickly they’re frozen after catch, and how exactly they are frozen.

5 Likes

And sassy.

5 Likes

I love sashimi, ceviche, hoe, ect…but I’m selective about where I eat it. If you want to kill anything in fish not selected for raw serving though, you need to cook it at appreciable temperatures.

1 Like

From the article I linked:

Despite the FDA’s blanket recommendations for the elimination of parasites, which is the main goal of its freezing guidelines, very few infections from eating raw fish have been documented in American medical literature. In the US, eating raw fish that hasn’t been frozen is rare enough that the agency’s “Bad Bug Book” uses Japan as a reference point, since the practice is far more prevalent there. But even in Japan, where freezing of fish meant for sashimi is not required, reported infection rates are vanishingly small compared to the total population. (For instance, the Bad Bug Book reports “more than 1,000 cases” of infection by anisakis worms, the most common parasite in marine fish, reported annually in Japan, but keep in mind that’s out of a total population of ~127 million in 2015.)

Its common practice world wide to pick these worms out. Provided you get them all its usually fine. If they’re at the stage in thier life where they’re whole worms, rather than eggs, its the worms you have to worry about. I don’t believe these particular worms are an issue in larval or egg form.

But yeah that involves being selective about what and where you eat. I’m pretty selective about my seafood raw or cooked. And I don’t eat cod. Its a lame ass fish when not salted and dried. And I don’t feel its worth dealing with the parasites. Because these worms aren’t the half of it. Cod are fucking disgusting.

3 Likes

I ate fresh line-caught cod earlier this year and unknowingly ingested Anisakis (something I’d never heard of before then).

I can confirm that the allergic reaction I had was not fun (but I understand that most people don’t experience this). I have been told that in some countries they test for this allergy fairly routinely.

1 Like

So (sorry about any taxonomic violence here); basically bloodsucking lung-seamonkeys?

Absolutely unacceptable. I’m going to have to put my planned replacement of blood with a circulatory fluid that isn’t similar to particularly nutrient-rich seawater in multiple respects on an accelerated timetable; just in case.

1 Like