TikToker shows bugs crawling under plastic of frozen Walmart pizza — can this be real? (video)

Originally published at: TikToker shows bugs crawling under plastic of frozen Walmart pizza — can this be real? (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

The video shows distinct holes in the plastic wrapping. I expect the insects intruded post-production

6 Likes

The video that launched a thousand lawyers.

4 Likes

Having worked at Walmart, I seriously doubt that could happen. Now, if you were talking about anything with the fresh produce? Mold, bugs, rot, anything. Sure. Absolutely. Do not buy fresh produce at Walmart. Also, it’s possible for items that aren’t very popular to end up on the shelf longer than their expiration date, even in the freezer section, but I doubt frozen pizza would be in that category. Who knows, though. I saw things in my year and a half working there I wish I hadn’t seen. I only go to Walmart now if I absolutely have to.

Story time: The store I worked at lost power one time for well over 12 hours. It might have even been over a day, I can’t remember. Regardless, it was long enough that all of the inventory in the display freezers had to be thrown out. As far as I know, everything was. However, Walmart overworks and underpays its employees. It’s not exactly uncommon to find employees doing the bare minimum, and I can’t blame them. So I can see a scenario where something might have happened and this pizza ended up out of the freezer for way too long, and then someone put it back. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Yes.

5 Likes

let’s see. video of bugs on food… no thanks! i’m good.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look frozen to me,

Not that it helps any but those are not frozen when you buy them, they are over in the cooler next to the deli for like take and bake. Bugs could easily live in that since sometimes it is not that cold. Personally I would have noticed the bugs in the store, part of the cardboard seems to be missing as well.

2 Likes

We just watched John Oliver’s piece on food safety, and the criminally underfunded, understaffed and poorly structured FDA. If nothing else, perhaps these very stupid stunt videos could lead to an increased interest in overhauling our food safety system? Then again, chasing down and verifying clout-hunting influencer videos is likely more of a distraction and waste than anything else…

3 Likes

Supernatural GIF

1 Like

Of course it can be real.

I’ve found bugs in my food multiple times over the years.

Most of the time you don’t even notice a difference in taste.

1 Like

Rich in protein, crunchy… and at no extra cost!

1 Like

It’s because lefties like Walmart want us to eat bugs! /s

2 Likes

As a long time eater of Walmart pizza, it should be noted that the marketplace ones are sold as refrigerated not frozen. So you kinda have to check them before leaving if at least to make sure it has enough toppings.

2 Likes

USDA is also criminally under-funded. And it’s under-staffed. I have a family member that retired a couple years ago - the territory they covered had half as many inspectors when they retired than when they hired it, plus the types of things they inspected expanded considerably, each inspector expected to work more than 60 hours a week. Great pension, though, with all that overtime pay going into the final compensation calculation!

:rage:

7 Likes

I’m absolutely sure that’s true, the only thing more poorly funded than food safety in America is childcare, but according to the Last Week Tonight piece, the amount of resources the USDA has compared to the resources the FDA has* makes the USDA look like the DoD.

*at least the part that it has to allocate to the “F”, as opposed to the “D”, of course, which was one of his arguments for breaking up the FDA, to make sure the “Food” side gets its own budget.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought. Looks like it was left in the car until the next day or forgotten on the steps when they were unloading the rest of the groceries.

Besides, 10-20 mins in a +400F degree oven and it’ll just be more protein. Or they will escape into your home and they will end up in your ear while you sleep.

2 Likes

The weird thing about this conservative idea is that we don’t want the human race reduced to eating bugs, that’s the whole point-- if shit gets worse and left/right alike are starving, nobody’s going to force anyone to eat bugs, we’ll all do so willingly.

1 Like

Part of time it’s their Hunter’s Laptop for environmental discussions, but I wonder if it’s also projection?

I bet Ronald Cameron of Mountaire dreams of being able to get rid of chickens, and sell people boxes of frozen cajun skitter nuggets.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.