Great video of a wriggling worm found in fish at a New Jersey restaurant

There are youtube videos about this. They use a small knife or tweezers. They do not remove parts of the filet the worm comes in contact with.

Even small holes in a filet aren’t all that noticable. As it cooks it loses moisture and the meat contracts.

3 Likes

Why would that be true? there are certainly plant parasitic nematodes. I’ve pulled up squash seeds after them not sprouting and they’ve been full of nematodes.

Because mint jelly is just disgusting.

1 Like

Its probably anisakis. Which is a parasitic nematode. So far as I’m aware that’s the usual suspect when it comes to worms in cod.

I don’t really doubt it. I was just wondering about @Bobo being so sure the nematode couldn’t have come from a vegetable in the dish.

AH. And again its probably Anisakis, which has a life cycle entirely reliant on fish. They’re normal, even expected in cod. But beyond that as far as I’m aware these sorts of large roundworms are not the sort of nematodes we’re talking about with vegetables. The sort of parasitic or damaging nematodes than cause problems or damage to crops tend to be microscopic. And tend not to, you know burrow through flesh.

I’d agree that is a good thing. After all this anisakis on the mind I was watching fruit flies circling ripe peaches and being thankful Drosophila larvae are not carnivorous once you ingest them! I grew to hate those little bastards anyway in high school genetics.

I’ve sat through enough parasitology classes and seen enough parasitic roundworm nematodes in my career to recognize one.

Anisakis has an obligate mammal hosted life stage, and sadly looks like most of the other fun mammal roundworms (Ascaris, baylisascaris, etc…)

1 Like

Yes, I’m a fan of gardening as well. Have you ever seen a plant nematode that particular shade of ivory or that size?

I don’t know much about nematodes, it was really just an honest question asking ‘why’. You know, learning?

Sorry, not trying to be nasty. Been a veterinarian for the past ~20 years. I’ve seen enough mammal parasite nematodes of all varieties to choke a dog (and a few times quite literally that…).

All of the plant nematodes I’ve run across have been dramatically smaller than the mammal hosted ones, and have come in a variety of colors from clearish to orange or brown.

The mammal ones all look weirdly similar. (and do yourself a favor, do not google image “roundworm” unless you haven’t eaten recently…)

1 Like

Don’t know what makes me dry retching right now … this idea or the worm.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.