Greedy plant eats over 6,000 insects an hour

There’s the pedANT
:wink:

1 Like

Yep, that’s me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Would love to, especially because I am of the opinion that Darlingtonia is one of the most beautiful carnivorous plants. But it’s rather on the bottom of my list: protection in the US is rather good, infrastructure is also OK, so I can have a look when I’m old and can’t got to other, more challenging places.

The tepuís, for instance. :sunny: :mount_fuji: :palm_tree:
I once met a guy who visited nearly all known species of Heliamphora in habitat. Pretty impressive achievement: unlocked. And I think I know another who has seen both nearly all Heliamphora and most Nepenthes.

Alas, back on topic: there are so many awesome stories to tell about carnivorous plants, and those people reponsible for the above-linked video were simply to lazy for any of them. :cry:

5 Likes

Point well made. We seem not to have made any pogress since that infamous “documentary”, hm?

Shit, I thought it was a prequel to Phase IV.

Edit: Or maybe “Sandkings.” I didn’t know that was GRRM!

1 Like

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

1 Like

Yes, but how many gallons of ants in total? Don’t tell us you didn’t measure!

I kept thinking the tank was full when it was just a few cm deep, but I would dump in the toilet and go back to work. I think I did this at least five times, but this was from something like 3am to around sunrise.

Please, please, please, please, please take me with you.

2 Likes

I distinctly recall walking in the forests of the Pacific Northwest and coming upon a batch of pitcher plants (idontknowicus thenameoftheplanticus) doing their thing in a peaty, swampy spot near a small spring. It’s one thing to see them in museums or stores, but seeing them in their natural habitat was pretty cool.

1 Like

Holy mole, that means he also probably has free upgrades on most major and minor airlines! :). I’ve seen half a dozen carnivous plants and only one in habitat, and I thought I was doin’ good. So as they say, Challenge Accepted.

The fact that you recognised them as carnivorous plants shows you are among the enlightend ones. I guess the audience the Smithsonian Channel is targeting has trouble acknowledging the fact that trees are also plants, and that there are two types of trees: birches and non-birches. :wink:

1 Like

Very minor airlines, as far as I recall: private helicopter.

AFAIR, you can only get on top of those “lost worlds” by helicopter. You’ll also need special permission by some gouvernments (Brasilian and Venezuelan, for instance, because of their nerarby frontiers and illegal gold exploitation in the surrounding area), and the respective environmental agencies (which in case of Brasil would be like applying for something in the burocracy within a Terry Gilliam film).

Disclaimer: it’s not bloody likely I’ll get any of this, but I need to dream about something… :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.