Grey wolf sighted on Central Coast for the first time in over a century

Originally published at: Grey wolf sighted on Central Coast for the first time in over a century | Boing Boing

5 Likes

monophy

2 Likes

Is it?

Unfortunately, Biden is all for going ahead with Trump’s lifting of protections for gray wolves. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Arrooooos!

1 Like

Unfortunately elected officials of both parties know that the first person to be attacked by a protected wolf will spell certain death for some politicians’ careers and few are willing to take that risk for an animal that can’t vote.

We could have reintroduced grizzly bears to California generations ago but nobody with the authority to make it happen is willing to take the fall for some tourist getting mauled at Lake Tahoe.

“Central Coast”? Kern County is a lot of things, but it is not on the coast. I’ll accept Central California.

5 Likes

Is this wolf thought to be from the population re-introduced to Yellowstone? I think there were still wolves in Washington, so maybe from there? Anyway,a good excuse to post this song, I think:

1 Like

Yeah, its western border stops at the coast range. What this excerpt doesn’t mention is that CDFW believes the wolf to be OR-93, which had a radio collar, but that collar stopped transmitting. Before it did, OR-93’s collar placed him in Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties, which would put him on the Central Coast. But not when he was spotted on the wildlife camera in Kern County.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.