Griping about moderation, bias, et cetera

Can we know for certain if it is closed or open without checking? And doesn’t that make its current status both a little open and a little closed? Is it even a thread anymore? Maybe it’s ajar?

11 Likes

Is this now the Questions To Be Asked topic?

13 Likes

Isn’t the only question in this thread ‘Why me?”

18 Likes

sassy sarah silverman GIF by HULU

12 Likes

That’s some yarn you’re spinning

5 Likes

Did someone ask for the Questions thread to get re-opened?

:wink: :rofl:

13 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

14 Likes

Hey! I have a question about a thing. A few days back, I had a post deleted from the comments on this BB post: Fictosexual man who married a hologram can no longer speak with wife, due to software glitch | Boing Boing
I got back-to-back messages about a response to my post and it being hidden due to being reported, before it was deleted some hours later. I’m basing my question here on the response, as I’m assuming it was made by the same person who reported it. They said something along the lines of “We don’t make assumptions about the mental states of others here”, linking to the community guidelines. Which would be all well and good, except for the part of my post that touched on such a topic being nothing more than a (far less detailed) paraphrasing of what was described in the original BB post. I.e., no assumptions made whatsoever, just a summary of what the article had already laid out as fact. This … doesn’t seem reasonable to me. I mean, sure, I can’t expect every mod to have read every BB post, and mistakes happen, but … yeah. Reiterating what is already said in the OP must be allowed, no?

I think you are looking for this topic:

7 Likes

You are correct, your post was mis-moderated and has been restored. However, it was not a moderator who wrote the reply about our policy you note in question, but another user. As that reply is incorrect in this case, it has not been restored.

Our apologies for the confusion here.

13 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Does calling the person an “asshole” (not saying you’re wrong) somehow not violate the “mental health” warning in the CGs? At a minimum, you’re making an assumption, which is def up against the line.

No, it does not. Calling a person an asshole implies nothing about mental health. Like, at all. Merely that they are, you know, an asshole.

21 Likes

Are you fucking serious right now?

Like, I’m sorry you want to be able to call people whatever you want and are sore that you can’t do it here. But this pathetic attempt at rules-lawyering and obvious ignoring of the reason the “don’t call everyone who is an asshole crazy” rule exists is because the very real people living with mental illness would very much like to not be lumped in with people who choose to take advantage of the fear of the masses to make a buck or line up their next lucrative career.

This pathetic attempt at driving trollies tells me you either need to re-read where you are posting and what the Authors and community of Boing Boing and the BBS care about, or go find somewhere else to try and stir up shit instead just because you can’t call people the names you want. Because that is the definition of asshole, and I am calling you one now.

27 Likes

My rule of thumb…

If a person blatantly demonstrates how much of a soul-sucking, time-consuming, blatant asshole they are in the public arena outside of BoingBoing? Child abusers. Animal abusers. White supremacists. Vladimir Putin. Most of our world leaders. Feel free.

If a person has made me angry by pointing out flaws in my argument? That’s a personal attack, and also off-limits.

Happy X Factor GIF by X Factor Global

16 Likes

Thinking or stating that someone is an asshole based upon how they behave isn’t ‘an assumption’ about someone’s mental health; it’s expressing an opinion.

17 Likes

If you go back and look you’ll see that I stated that my original post was in the wrong, and that @DukeTrout 's comments on the matter were well taken. I think I was clear on that.

For the record, I was not the person that called the subject of the post an “asshole”. Further, I’ve been on BB for a long time. I’d think that my previous history here might actually stand for something in the way of credit.

This is clearly in violation of the community guidelines. That much is clear.

In any event, this whole thing is WAY off the rails at this point. After deleting my original post, admitting error, and stating (again) that @DukeTrout was correct, I then shifted to trying to figure out whether or not bullet points 1 and 2 in the CG’s apply to only internal commenters, or everyone globally, based on a comment made by, I think, @docosc (but honestly don’t remember at this point). That’s what I’m trying to find out, b/c it would clearly be a good thing to know going forward.

Again, I’m not a dude.

It’s not really that difficult.

Assumptions about mental health; global, insults; local.

13 Likes

Merely being an asshole isn’t a disease like mental illness; it’s a conscious choice in behavior.

18 Likes