Grocer designed embarrassing plastic bags to shame shoppers into bringing reusable ones

I’m about to be unemployed for an undetermined amount of time, and my money-stretching strategy has always been to Never. Leave. The. Yard. So, I may have plenty of time on my hands for all those crackpot ideas that sit on the back-burner. If I actually do it, I’ll PM the pics to you.

4 Likes

I just went to a store not 10 minutes ago and bought a single item. I went through the self-checkout kiosk. It asked if I brought my own bag. No. How many bags did I want? Zero. Please wait for an attendant…:frowning:

8 Likes

I hear they’re starting a racing team:

6 Likes

Reduction is good but there is enough need or uses that consumers cannot be trained around that something needs to be done on the implementation and recovery sides. Find better ways to deal with thin plastics (as mentioned above they are a pain) or find better plastics (or other materials) that are easily dealt with.

People are stupid and lazy and some solutions need to work with that.
This morning I have already thrown out two single use bags. One was the internal bag for a cereal box. No clue what type of plastic and odds are it will make in into the waste stream or clog plastic sorting if I had put in into the recycling. I have no idea where I would put the plastic bag I used to pick up the dead rat. Recycling would not appreciate the organic waste, Composting would not like the plastic bag (no idea what they think of bodies). I did have some “compostable” poop bags but they started to lose structural integrity so I am not using them for dead things or poop.

3 Likes

In my opinion, you just just won the thread!

5 Likes

Same same. Can you think of any other item that is bought with the sole intention of throwing it away??

(I know, I know, it lines the bin and keeps it clean, but still, I wouldn’t buy a pillow case thinking, “I will use this to protect my pillow for one week and then throw it away.” It’s just a weird concept.)

1 Like

This, too. I’m all for changing our habits to reduce our individual waste, and I do as much as I can on that front. But I think sometimes it’s a distraction when the same amount of activist energy could be targeted toward the fishing industry or regulators and bring about real change. Changing a handful of regulations and supporting research into alternative fishing gear materials seems like it would pay off way better than banning straws town by town or trying to train 300 Million Americans not to count on single-use plastic bags. I know it all helps, but is it the best use of our limited resource of time and activism?

4 Likes

Interesting - making ‘double strength’ bags and STILL saying some things need double-bagging.
In all my decades of buying groceries in the UK I cannot recall ever seeing anyone need to double-bag. I guess we must have lighter groceries over here. :wink:
Or maybe our supermarkets figured out that bags with their logos on that could not do the job without being doubled up (and doubling their cost) was not a good look for their brand.

I’m not sure I believe cotton has thousands of times the carbon foot print, but…

And the study does note that it’s looking at emissions, not marine life impact. Nor does it seem to factor in ocean acidity levels, which could be literally catastrophic.

Personally, we use reusable cotton bags, but I’d love a set of cotton bags with these designs. Maybe this is a clever ruse to get shoppers to reuse the plastic bags.

5 Likes

We can’t recycle any glass in our city anymore. Apparently the market for recycled glass has bottomed out and nobody wants to handle it. Plus, the prevalence of single-stream recycling has led to an increase of broken-glass contamination that means entire truckloads of material just get scrapped.

That’s depressing. I hope it’s way off. Some of my oldest cotton canvas shopping bags are from 2000 and still kicking. Even they aren’t close to 20,000 uses though. I’d hate to think of how many uses the nylon bags I replaced them with would need. Nylon “stuff sacks” are way easier to pack, wash and generally stronger than cotton canvas. To bad they aren’t made of recycled plastic. Maybe they have some recyclable in them. Post consumer though? I doubt it.

I’m about to give up and just start doing what my dad did with everything and burn it all in a huge pile in the field. /s just kidding

6 Likes

spraypainting

Same in term of art for ya’ as airbrushing X graveure plate reuse, or not? I feel like the time Kenshin '99 (BluRay '04?) was playing and the political kurowotsis were saying ‘The sky should be clear and green,’ that was followed up by (substantial cycles of unnecessary casualty and abrogation of that, then) KareKano 2; and they had feminine plaid skies, Deco screen skies, fuscia skies. Nice pairing.

Wood and enamel refillable jars especially made for age-finishing gelfite fish from the market.
Giant guy from One-Pound Gospel to carry arbitrary weight in nylon paisley bandanas.
Glass what? Architectural Wonkbuddettes was all “Don’t ban glass” recently, that’s nuts. Jigen, bring the sheep shears, glass cutters and …oh come on bing.
Ur-Wakanda procession of coworkers who wanted a henna treatment to carry quarter-gallons of milk in prop fingernails (with silicone seals? Too much license, I’m sure.)

used 20,000 times before their embodied water use is greener than single-use…

[Glares at bag] [Bag use count increases 2000, looks a little more threadworn.][Considers using bag as baggies at public pool to up use count.] [Bag vouches self for 20,000 uses already.] [A Kindle Fire on stand and HomePod open small apertures in their cloth, fist bump.]

5 Likes

Some of these bags are really cool, in an ironic way.

2 Likes

How is this a deterrent, exactly?

16 Likes

It looks like an expensive hipster t-shirt.

6 Likes

good sign to go Vegetarian my brothers and sisters :wink:

OK, I am going to need a moment to process …

1 Like

I’ll stick with plastic.

sorry. missed a workout.

5 Likes

I rarely find these things to be convenient. I feel like they waste more of my time than save it. And the biggest reason never to use them is you can’t buy booze.

3 Likes