Groklaw shuts down over fears of email snooping

And you have obviously never worked with GPG. Encrypting stuff outside of the headers is well supported by any proper mail client. SMTP and IMAP does not give a rats ass about it.

Email is no more or less secure than any other communications medium. Like any other it is entirely a question of how securely the keys used by both parties can be exchanged.

Fine then. Come up with something else that actually engaged the problem.

You wonā€™t or you are sticking your fingers in your ear and denying it is covered by one of the three I mentioned.

Go ahead and prove to me wrong and that you are being something other than glib. I doubt you will.

Weā€™ve been trying one angle (well, a framework that requires a couple to digest, actually), and honestly thatā€™s most definitely not the only one. Iā€™m a big fan of the corporation as a tool to make a nation thatā€™s not dependent on dirt and can stand up against our government, thatā€™s partly because Iā€™m familiar enough with how they operate and interact with governments that Iā€™m comfortable with exploiting them . . . we shouldnā€™t have needed to wait for such a messy tool, but hey . . . it is a powerful beast. I really wish it was easier to get people to the fundamentals, however.

Feel free to join in if you want to help, otherwise weā€™ll send you a wave once weā€™ve got something solid you can join.

Yup. OpenPGP (or, hell, even S/MIME) would stop the problem here.

Iā€™m surprised that anyone whoā€™s involved in software and technology, even a lawyer, hasnā€™t heard the comparison of e-mail to a postcard before. If you wouldnā€™t put it in a postcard, donā€™t put it in an email (and the really fun part is that the postcard generally has better legal protections against prying eyes).

That is one possibility covered under the first two I listed or possibly the third depending on how one cares to go about implementing it.

1 Like

Clever!

I bow to you, sir.

Interesting intel re: Gov shenanigans

Search on Google: AMBASSADOR LEE EMIL WANTA INTERVIEW - YouTube

The government has already won then.

"the Tea Party is ample evidence of that "

uhā€¦ you are aware that the Tea Party is astroturf, funded by the very kind of neo-feudalists who are instrumental in pushing us towards being an authoritarian corporatist state, right?

2 Likes

Justā€¦?

Itā€™s depressing enough that thereā€™s a battle for them to win.

2 Likes

Some areā€¦ some arenā€™t. Yes, the tea party that emerged in the 2011 and 2012 elections was funded in large part to astroturf it into a republican toolā€¦ but they didnā€™t step into a vacuum to do thisā€¦ there was already a large group of dissent there.

Whether or not they would have suceeded without the funding is a good question, but they were there. Ron Paul and his ilk was there LONG before Fox News and the Koch Brothers jumped into their territory.

There is nothing clever about threatening violence.

Violence is the opposite of clever. Itā€™s the opposite of civilized, also.

1 Like

The problem isnā€™t just the contents of the letter, but what can be (and is) read on the outside of the envelope. Who is contacting whom and when.

And if that is a concern, then itā€™s the appropriate time to use a disposable e-mail account, Tor, and a pseudonymous PGP key (arranged out-of-band, especially in-person). It still amounts to this bizarre, unfounded assumption that a protocol which does not require encryption and does not have anonymity built-in to the spec is somehow secure, for some definition of secure.

And yes, snooping on e-mail is bad. But itā€™s really most appropriate to have been assuming that someone has been (or at the very least could have been) reading your e-mail (or headers) all along, given how the protocol works.

Sorry, but youā€™re wrong. They were funded from day one by the Koch brother and by the tobacco lobby, among others. The idea that this is a a movement with grassroots origins is a complete turd.

Heh, that sentence works with either ā€˜berthā€™ or ā€˜birthā€™.

1 Like

Um.

Ron Paul and crew had a tea party movement in 2006 when they were determining how to or whether to join the election in 2008. It initially was not a co-opted movement, but just a rather small vocal group of libertarians.

Of course, where thereā€™s anger, thereā€™s opportunity, and in 2007 the Koch brothers started funding ā€œgrassrootsā€ groups. Not 2009.

I live in TN. I know whatā€™s going on here. Iā€™ve seen tea party groups for the past 6-7 years here. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not to mention, of course, that GPG requires

• both parties to use it, not just the one who is knowledgeable and concerned about privacy
  • both parties to authenticate one anotherā€™s public keys offline (or through their web of mutually trusted GPG users. hm. hmhmsneRT. hmhmfffhahahHAHAHAHA. Ha. Hoo, boy)

bitmessage is comingā€¦